Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baptist Draw / Upper Chute

Baptist Draw / Upper Chute

Baptist Draw!

Back to the canyon that started it all! Yes, Baptist Draw was the canyon we visited this weekend, but this time when we dropped into Upper Chute Canyon (from Baptist Draw), we went up the wash, not down it.

This canyon never disappoints! The narrow slots and the easiness of the canyon are what make me wanting to come back again and again. I had heard about people hiking up the slot canyon and that the narrows up that way were WAY better than even the slots in Baptist Draw and the lower section of Chute Canyon. I had to check this out, so I called my friend Joel and we took off early Friday morning.

The reason for the trip was actually for scouts. I had the intentions of guiding my Scout Troop and Varsity Team through the Goblin's Lair in Goblin's Valley. Joel and I wanted to scope out that canyon before the scouts arrived, so we decided to go early and get another one in just for fun.

When it was all said and done, due to bad weather in the State, the camping trip for the scouts was called off, (Major BUMMER!) but it "kinda" worked out in the end. (long story short, some bags of gear were either lost or stolen from my truck, and we ended up backtracking our drive in order to try to find them. We didn't find them, but we arrived back home just in time for the scout camp to be called off). SO... our trip back home was actually very timely :)

ANYWAY! meanwhile back at the CANYON, Joel and I had a great time. Joel was able to use his BRAND NEW Sterling C-IV Canyon rope (Can you say "rope envy"?, cuz that is what I had!) for the final rappel. And I REALLY enjoyed visiting the canyon that birthed my addiction to canyoneering.

The slots in Baptist Draw were all that I remembered! They were still skinny and narrow and AwEsOmE! The new section of slots that I found in Upper Chute Canyon were incredible! Way better than I expected! (I am never doing the long version of that canyon hike again! I am converted to doing only the upper section of that canyon.) The narrows in Upper Chute were everything. they were rugged, they were smooth, the were dark, they were narrow, they were skinny, they were tall, they were short, they were all any canyoneering addict would hope to find in a canyon. I hope the video and pictures can do it justice. Enjoy!

Last edited by Kuya; 11-11-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added video TR
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great TR! Looks like a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    The new section of slots that I found in Upper Chute Canyon were incredible! Way better than I expected! (I am never doing the long version of that canyon hike again! I am converted to doing only the upper section of that canyon.)
    X2, the Fault Canyon exit SUCKS! Can't wait to go back and do it the fun way.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Awesome trip! You got this route dialed in. I have been wanting to get to Baptist Draw for some time. It looks family friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Awesome trip! You got this route dialed in. I have been wanting to get to Baptist Draw for some time. It looks family friendly?
    The canyon is very family friendly :) For both exits, you are pretty much cross country hiking back to your car. It is not difficult, but might require lots of going in and out of small valleys and washes. As far as the actual canyon is concerned. It is a very beautiful and easy class 3 canyon. All the rappels are straight forward, and easy to rap off.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Great TR! Looks like a blast!

X2, the Fault Canyon exit SUCKS! Can't wait to go back and do it the fun way.
    I highly recommend to everyone one to hike all of chute canyon. It is probably one of the longest and most beautiful slots in the area. My first time through Chute Canyon was amazing. Even though it is not super technical, it does have its charm. BUT i am with you Slot Machine. I am converted to going up the the canyon now!
    My YouTube Channel

Beautiful! Video came out quite nice!
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Have done that route (Baptist & up Chute) 3 times now and have always wanted to see what the lower part (Chute) was like. I think you've convinced me to stick with the upper section. It is surprisingly nice. Looks like it was dry for you this time. We've been in there for both wet & dry and that upper Chute section can certainly vary in difficulty depending on when the last flood went through. It has such a large catch basin. If mainly dry, it is certainly "family friendly."
    Thanks for the report.

10. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Have done that route (Baptist & up Chute) 3 times now and have always wanted to see what the lower part (Chute) was like. I think you've convinced me to stick with the upper section. It is surprisingly nice. Looks like it was dry for you this time. We've been in there for both wet & dry and that upper Chute section can certainly vary in difficulty depending on when the last flood went through. It has such a large catch basin. If mainly dry, it is certainly "family friendly."
    Thanks for the report.
    Good point about the canyon being "Family friendly" when it is dry. When it is full of water I can see it being a little bit different :D Maybe not so kid friendly. I have only done it when it is dry, I will have to head down there after a flood one of these days to do it when it is full of water. that could be fun romp :)

Yes, going up the canyon gets you the most bank for your buck. But the 4 miles of hiking down the canyon is quite nice too if you are up for a long stroll through a narrow canyon. It does not get nearly as narrow as the upper section though. BUT it does have some really cool narrow sections. The two times I have gone out the Fault Line exit, I have really enjoyed it. ( I just didn't like the 2 miles hike out back to the truck)
    My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    Beautiful! Video came out quite nice!
    Thanks Eric! Im trying to get the "shaky" out of my videos... still not there yet, but im tryin'!
    My YouTube Channel

Re: Baptist Draw / Upper Chute

Exiting up or down Chute both have their charms. You should do them both.

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Sent using Tapatalk
    X2
    My YouTube Channel

Feh, no way! (no disrespect at all to Ice or Kuya)

If you will, please let me write some beta for climb-utah, in Shane's style of writing:

"Heading down Baptist Draw and then north through Upper Chute is a fantastic adventure. If Baptist is like taking a supermodel out to dinner, then the north section of Upper Chute would be like having that supermodel invite you back to her place for coffee.

If heading south through Upper Chute and exiting via Fault Canyon, you will be in for a charming section of canyon followed by a grueling uphill slog towards the setting sun. It's like taking a supermodel to dinner, making out with her in the parking lot for a minute, then having her suddenly punch you in the junk and steal your wallet. If you like having your gonads boxed and your identity stolen, then the Fault Canyon is the exit for you."

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Thanks Eric! Im trying to get the "shaky" out of my videos... still not there yet, but im tryin'!
    Well, thank you very much for posting this.

Can you verify, only the one 70' rappel, and really I think I only saw one ankle-deep wet area?

If so we may be headed there this weekend.

Thanks so much for the TR.

Quote Originally Posted by blamkin86 View Post

Can you verify, only the one 70' rappel, and really I think I only saw one ankle-deep wet area?
    Yes, there is only the one 70' rappel. Other rappels in the canyon are 20' or less.

Have fun, this canyon is what got my technical canyoneering addiction started!
    My YouTube Channel

If you will, please let me write some beta for climb-utah, in Shane's style of writing:

"Heading down Baptist Draw and then north through Upper Chute is a fantastic adventure. If Baptist is like taking a supermodel out to dinner, then the north section of Upper Chute would be like having that supermodel invite you back to her place for coffee.

If heading south through Upper Chute and exiting via Fault Canyon, you will be in for a charming section of canyon followed by a grueling uphill slog towards the setting sun. It's like taking a supermodel to dinner, making out with her in the parking lot for a minute, then having her suddenly punch you in the junk and steal your wallet. If you like having your gonads boxed and your identity stolen, then the Fault Canyon is the exit for you."

I see your point, BUT the hike up fault canyon isn't really THAT bad. For those who enjoy walking in the desert, even the Fault Line exit has some beautiful qualities to check out. AND if you have a car staged at the water hole, it makes the hike out a bit more bearable.
    My YouTube Channel

Re: Baptist Draw / Upper Chute

I'm happy to see someone who pays attention to my writing style.

My thought is those that bitch about the Baptist fault canyon exit or the Quandary approach are just a bunch of candyass canyoneers

Sent using Tapatalk

If Baptist is like taking a supermodel out to dinner, then the north section of Upper Chute would be like having that supermodel invite you back to her place for coffee.

If heading south through Upper Chute and exiting via Fault Canyon.... It's like taking a supermodel to dinner, making out with her in the parking lot for a minute, then having her suddenly punch you in the junk and steal your wallet.

The beauty of this logic is the fact that you STILL were able to go on a date with a supermodel either way!
    My YouTube Channel

My thought is those that bitch about the Baptist fault canyon exit or the Quandary approach are just a bunch of candyass canyoneers
    What's wrong with the Quandary approach? I thought it was a cake walk.
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    What's wrong with the Quandary approach? I thought it was a cake walk.
    I agree.... it's just a nice morning stroll in the desert. But I sure do hear a lot of folks whine about it.

when i did was very friendly, but at the base of the rappel we found written with coal of people stranded for couple of days!!!
    apparently the canyon has 2 exit, going left scenic and going right( just an hike) ,so the left way the slotted beautiful when it rain can get water ,that can be from gluing mud to totally impassable mud, in that case you can use the right exit ,but if you do not have a map of the area can be intimidating just walk cross country!
    so in addition of gps coordinate and just those tiny maps from website is also a good idea to carry the full topografic map of the area you can find free on the utah water website USGS 7.5