Thread: Granary walk out?

Granary walk out?

Hey Folks - first post. Just this year we are slowly switching to technical canyoneering after getting a little tired of all scrambling. Not really there yet, but I did manage to finish Three Canyon with a group of friends a couple of weeks ago. The way out was uh, over my head but we did put the handline down before we started and that did help us make it.

Anyway - We're looking for stuff less than 100' drops - and wondered if we could do Granary without that 200' er at the end?

Anyone know if you can walk out of the canyon or are you forced to go down the big rope?

Thanks in advance - and thanks for this great website, we hope to contribute a TR soon.

--Bill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you look on the USGS 7.5 map you will see and old 4x4 track just north of Granary Canyon. I'm told you can skip the final rappel and walk back to the beginning using said road. I was told this eliminates the need for a shuttle.

I have not used this route - You have been warned!

Technically I don't think you are gaining any advantage by skipping the final rappel. The series of rappels that contain the Onion are at least as technical if not more.

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/granary.htm

The Onion Rappel
    Name:  granary4.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  17.6 KB

Blog Entries

Granary walk out?

However, not having a shuttle and walking back up would shave off at least a 45min drive (at least...) back up to your other car.

Hmmmmm....might have to try it one of these times.

However the last rap is pretty fun. The first 30ft are a overhang and then it takes you to another tier where you can walk 20 feet to the last 80+ft slanted wall. It's not bad.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

You're missing out on some of the prettiest scenery on the route if you don't do the hike over toward where the 200 foot rap is. Just sayin'. That was an amazing view up there!
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    However, not having a shuttle and walking back up would shave off at least a 45min drive (at least...) back up to your other car.
    Time wise I think the shuttle would be a lot faster.... I'm pretty sure I can drive 5 miles up long canyon faster than I can walk 4 miles back up the 4x4 road. Even doing the paved road shuttle I'm thinking you would come out about even time wise.

If you drive down the old road in a jeep you can get about 400 yards from the first rappel. There is a faint road that goes South right over into that area. When you come out onto the flats you can hang a left and go back to your jeep. It is not very far doing that. If you are going to walk all the way back up to the top that would suck. It is quite a jaunt. There are much better routes in Moab to do if you are not going all the way out the bottom.

If you look on Google Earth you can see the road heading over there.

Thanks Guys - I think we're switching to Undercover, not this weekend but next. I think if you knew how bad my fear of heights was, you might question why I do this in the first place :)

I'll post a TR when we get back.

The last rappel in Granary is not a real 200' rappel. It is a 30' rappel with a 70' down slope walk, with a 100' easy rappel down a crack at the end. The biggest problem with this rappel is a clean pull of the rope. The last rappel in Undercover will get your panties in wad more then the last one in Granary. If you want a great route with fun easy rappels Elephant Butte is the route.

If you want easy rappel canyoneering.... you can do Rock of Ages. You can skip the big stunt rappel at Pool Arch. You have one easy 50' rappel at the end of the narrows. You can skip the final 100' free rappel by exploring the canyon rim south for about 1/4 mile to an easy walk down.

This turns Rock of Ages into a nice route with one simple 50' rappel. I've actually downclimbed the 50' rappel before, but I only recommend that to skilled canyoneers and rock climbers.

Rock of Ages

Name:  rockofages1.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  33.8 KB

As mentioned Elephant Butte is a great route and one of my Moab favorites.

Elephant Butte

Quote Originally Posted by blamkin86 View Post
    ...my fear of heights ...<snip>
    Sorry for the snip, but you might take solace that all humans have a natural fear of heights.
    It is in our genes NOT to fall from a height from which we cannot recover, else we turn into banana jam at the bottom.

But there is a difference between being fearful of heights (a careful respect of & educated consideration of) and being frightened by heights (a fright of).

I look forward to your TR. I know some blind friends who will fearlessly jump/climb/leap from what I wouldn't, so I suppose the brain can be fooled?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If you want easy rappel canyoneering.... you can do Rock of Ages. You can skip the big stunt rappel at Pool Arch. You have one easy 50' rappel at the end of the narrows. You can skip the final 100' free rappel by exploring the canyon rim south for about 1/4 mile to an easy walk down.
    Rock of ages, I looked on YouTube and found (mislabeled) video on the first drop. I feel pretty good about that one.

The second one - the bottom pic on the Climb-Utah page- is that the one that's sketchy to get clipped in for?

I found YouTube video, but that video doesn't look anything like this picture. I think that video is the Pool Arch rap.

Just in case I can't muster up the gusto for that one - do you have any more info on the walk out?

Thanks guys this is awesome.

Re: Granary walk out?

The picture of me on Climb Utah is from the old bolts at the final rappel. Someone pulled these bolts and installed the crappy lean-too bolts. Why someone pulled a good anchor and installed a POS is beyond me. The walk down is easy enough to figure out, just explore the rim south and you will find it. Its about 1/4 mile south of the rap.

Sent using Tapatalk

IMO there is no user friendly anchor at the end of ROA. Especially for Noobs.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...e-Rock-of-Ages

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If you look on the USGS 7.5 map you will see and old 4x4 track just north of Granary Canyon. I'm told you can skip the final rappel and walk back to the beginning using said road. I was told this eliminates the need for a shuttle.

The Onion Rappel
    Name:  granary4.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  17.6 KB
    I have done Granary both ways, ie with and without the final rappel and gone back upcanyon. IMHO, its definitely worth doing the lower section. The last rappel was really enjoyable. The first time we did the canyon, we ran out of time by doing too much side exploration. You miss out a lot by hitting the 4x4 road and heading back. Its easy to find the road, and bailing out of the canyon is not hard at all, but you do miss alot. (Thats why we came back another time to complete it).
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow