Thread: Too cold for wetsuits?

Too cold for wetsuits?

I have plans to go do the Subway on Saturday with three friends. I've done it in November before, but I don't remember the temperature. The forecast says we'll have a low of 28 and a high of 45 or so.

I have a 3mm john and jacket, and everyone else has 4mm full suits. You can move pretty quickly through the Subway usually, so I my initial reaction is to just plow ahead, but I want to be cautious too. We were also kicking around doing the direct Russell Gulch approach, but may skip it to save time and cold-wet minutes.

Thoughts? Experience? Suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Too cold for wetsuits?

I would rent dry suits and have a wonderful trip with great friends. Why suffer?
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Re: Too cold for wetsuits?

Full 4mm wetsuits should be more than enough, or at least it would be for me.

Sent using Tapatalk

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The water in the Subway comes from springs, which means it is just not that cold. The exception is the first pool you come to, the triple-pool, which is not spring fed and tends to be quite a bit colder.

A March Trip: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0703zion/index4.htm

And really, there's just not that much swimming. Be sure everyone has a good fleece jacket in their drybag, and those 4mm wetsuits will be just fine.

Tom

Too cold for wetsuits?

If you're concerned about staying warm I'd avoid Russell Gulch. We went through two weekends ago and froze our digits off. We were literally swimming/wading through ice water, and at one point I thought I'd have to turn back and head up the standard route back to the wildcat trailhead--my feet were literally numb. And that's was with neoprene socks and 6mm of neoprene around my core. Thankfully, we found a patch of sunny sandstone under the last rap in Russell, and were able to warm up substantially. The actual Subway route down from there wasn't too bad, and besides getting a little chilly towards the end, everyone was fine.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Especially the tip on Russell Gulch, I'll have to let that wait until next year.