Thread: Undercover Canyon

Undercover Canyon

This weekend I had the AWESOME privilege of hiking a slot canyon with by beautiful wife. Last weekend I had come down to Arches National Park with the goal of hiking Undercover, MMI, Winter Camp, and Repeat Jr. slot canyons. We did all 4 of them in ONE DAY! It was a lot of fun. This weekend I came with the intention of just enjoying one or two of the best slots with my wife.

The day started of great. We had a good nights rest in the Holiday Inn Express in Green River, and we arrived at the trailhead to Undercover canyon around 10 am. It was just starting to warm up, so all we needed were some light jackets to start us off on our hike.

I learned really quickly that the dynamics of every group I take are different. The way we hiked this canyon a week ago was very different than the way were were hiking the canyon this time. Neither was better or worse than the other, it is just different which is what makes the trips so much fun!

Jeff was completely content taking his time capturing every moment he could with is camera. My wife was happy just taking things slow, safe and easy :) I was just supper happy to be in a slot canyon with my wife. It is one of my VERY FAVORITE things!

Soon after we entered the canyon, right before the first sections of semi technical narrows, we caught up to a group of 6. they were on their way back, having convinced themselves of not hiking the canyon due to the fear of the unknown. After consulting with me they decided they would follow us through the canyon. Their new found confidence in me was humbling. They kept on our heels for most of the canyon.

Anyway, remember me talking about group dynamics and such being different with every group. Well, this time, with this group. what i discovered was the seemingly easy canyon obstacles that I encountered the prior week, were now looming larger. What i remembered being simple down climbs and scrambles were not so simple this week. But we conquered all!

Besides my wife getting bitten by her belay devise, all of us escaped the canyon without injury.

The group that followed us ended up relying on my little group a lot more than I expected. Once we got down the last 130' rappel, I took Jeff and Chantel to see a cool alcove that I found in a side canyon the week before. That little detour took us about 45 minutes, and on our way back we found the group of 6 heading down the same canyon. They were looking for the exit to the canyon. They would have been looking down that canyon all afternoon because the exit was not down that canyon. Their leader we convinced that it was down there, but having done the canyon just a week earlier, I convinced 'em all to follow me.

After another small detour to see the Covet Arch in the area, we all took to exiting the canyon. The exit is a 4th class scramble with exposure. Climbers with experience hiking on slickrock have no problems with this kind of exit, but many of our groups did not have that experience and getting out was much more of a task than I had planned for. I found myself hiking up and down that sandstone slope many times, managing a hand line connect to a "meat" anchor at the top of the more difficult sections.

In time, we all made it to the top safely, where we all rejoiced in the accomplishments of getting the whole team out safe. Tired and happy to be safe, we all trekked the 1.5 miles back to the vehicles where cold drinks and snacks awaited our arrival!

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Video TR of the trip.

My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Great pictures and video. I can tell from the video Youtube said "Your video looks shaky would you like us to try and clean it up for you?"
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    I can tell from the video Youtube said "Your video looks shaky would you like us to try and clean it up for you?"
    It sure did! ;) I have a lot to learn still about taking video footage of a canyon. I get dizzy watching my own videos
    My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    It sure did! ;) I have a lot to learn still about taking video footage of a canyon. I get dizzy watching my own videos
    I am there with you brother!

Personal Website

7. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Awesome TR and video

9. Likes Kuya liked this post
    I think Undercover is the BEST canyon/route in the Moab area. Comes the closest to having the challenges of the more slotted canyons. Thanks for sharing the photos & video. I could recognize very specific downclimbs.
    We're still holding open the 17th & planning on meeting up with you at Arches. Hope the weather cooperates.

11. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    I think Undercover is the BEST canyon/route in the Moab area. Comes the closest to having the challenges of the more slotted canyons. Thanks for sharing the photos & video. I could recognize very specific downclimbs.
    We're still holding open the 17th & planning on meeting up with you at Arches. Hope the weather cooperates.
    Undercover sure is a good one. I am not sure what my favorite is yet. I loved Pleiades. I will say that Undercover is the most technical route I have done in the Moab area so far.

I am keeping the 17th open as well. I pray that all will work out so we can meet up! Thank you so much for being willing to meet up with me!
    My YouTube Channel

Undercover sure is a good one. I am not sure what my favorite is yet. I loved Pleiades. I will say that Undercover is the most technical route I have done in the Moab area so far.
    If you want technical in Moab do Pleiades in the Spring.

This is Memorial Day a few years ago...

Name:  pleiades1.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  42.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If you want technical in Moab do Pleiades in the Spring.

This is Memorial Day a few years ago...
    CAN'T wait to do that! that picture makes me very jealous!
    My YouTube Channel

CAN'T wait to do that! that picture makes me very jealous!
    And just for giggles... here is the same rappel in mid-July.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    here is the same rappel in mid-July.
    One you wear blue pants the other pink?

Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    One you wear blue pants the other pink?
    What did you expect from a bottom tier super hero?

18. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    That's my wife in pink pants, thank you. I WON'T have my wife being confused with Shane!
    --Cliff

20. Likes jbick, Eric Holden liked this post