Thread: Backpacking with rifles

Backpacking with rifles

Trying to train up for the army. I'm looking for a good place to do a long hike in then hike out backpacking trip with a rifle and couple of buddies. Wanting to be at least a 2 night trip, and hoping we can shoot us a couple rabbits or coyotes. I live in the salt lake area and don't really want to travel too far if I don't have to. Any ideas would help out a lot. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How far is "too far"?

If it were me, I'd head down to Southern Utah and hike along a stream like Escalante, Dirty Devil, Green River, etc. Bound to be a few yotes hangin' out there. Plus, I believe the DWR has some of those areas designated in their predator control program. $50 bounty if you follow the simple rules.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/hunting...nformation/762

Why not leave the rife at home and add a few pounds to your backpack. There is no reason to kill coyotes or rabbits. Most backpackers go into the wilderness to get away from noise and shooting a rife in a Canyon is not going to be appreciated. I often hike the Escalante river, and I can assure you there is nothing there that is going to kill you. Please leave you gun at home.

6. Likes Mtnseeker1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    Why not leave the rife at home and add a few pounds to your backpack. There is no reason to kill coyotes or rabbits. Most backpackers go into the wilderness to get away from noise and shooting a rife in a Canyon is not going to be appreciated. I often hike the Escalante river, and I can assure you there is nothing there that is going to kill you. Please leave you gun at home.
    I believe our friend @Geoff was looking for advice on places to go, not a lecture of your personal opinion.

Take your rifle @Geoff , and I sincerely thank you for your future service to our great country.

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Backpacking with rifles

Yes. Hike the way YOU want to. Not the way some boner on the Internet wants you to.

I've done a ton of hiking with a rifle. It was all in Alaska, but I loved it.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post

Backpacking with rifles

The possibilities seem unlimited in Utah for such a trip. Somewhere close I might suggest Deseret peak wilderness area. I would park at the top of South Willow canyon, southwest of Grantsville. The terrain is varied and should support a two day trip. Go any direction you want. Should be plenty of wildlife to check out. You can hunt cottontail rabbit with a small game license or jackrabbits without. Coyotes have no season, no limit and there is a $50 bounty if you follow the program!
    Have a great trip and stay safe

Real men do not kill for fun, they kill for food. Or have you all forsaken your God and think that what he created is just for you to kill for the fun of it?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Real men do not kill for fun, they kill for food. Or have you all forsaken your God and think that what he created is just for you to kill for the fun of it?
    Are you seriously that f---ing stupid??

Geoff has proposed nothing unusual or illegal!

Just something that you disagree with....

After the "anointing" last night, I'm thinking the coyote bounty might be a good way for some extra cold hard gubernmint cash

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Who are you asking? The few of us that have posted legitimate responses to what could be an awesome thread if you had not joined? Bogley is full of diverse hobbies including hunting and shooting. If you can not handle it GTFO!

16. Likes oldno7, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I would actually suggest heading out by Topaz mountain, Or anywhere in the west desert would be good this time of year. Unless you want to deal with snow I wouldn't do the Stansburys right now... Also the rabbits have been few and far between near Des peak. Also South of 5 mile pass in the 10 mile pass area are a lot of coyotes and plenty of trails. make sure you post a Trip report wherever you go :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    make sure you post a Trip report wherever you go :)
    X2

not sure if you've gone on your trip yet, hope you brought / bring your rifle. Thanks for serving our country.

I love how easily it is to make people mad here:). It makes life more interesting. Killing little dogs is not exactly sporting. Why not go after something larger, like a bear. At least they can fight back. I think it is funny when I see people backpacking with a gun, I always wonder what they are afraid of. Where I go backpack there are no people, and I am not afraid of the local wildlife. America is not Africa. Loins and tigers and bears, Oh my!

the Army will train you up just fine when they get their hands on you :-)if you want to hike with weight - take beers - bottle beers

22. Likes Don liked this post

Re: Backpacking with rifles

I backpack with a gun all the time. And i pack a buck knife too, but it's not because I'm afraid I'm going to needed to stab something.

I pack a poncho even on sunny forecasts, and fear has nothing to do with it. It's just nice to be prepared, to have options. Because nothing unexpected ever happens in the wilderness, right? ;)

I pack a first aid kit even when I'm pretty sure i won't need it. And i pack some camera equipment when i absolutely know it won't be vital to my outdoor survival. But then again, cameras aren't a politically charged topic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aaah, thanks for that; I actually literally laughed out loud. Good one.