Thread: Recommend me a low-end but good ice axe

Recommend me a low-end but good ice axe

I'm putting this on the Christmas list this year, and hopefully, I finally get one, but I need some recommendations for what's good that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  38.6 KB

Good, and very low-end.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I'll sell you my black diamond x15. It's served me well! One of the best out there at the time. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352068390.927835.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  21.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352068404.731450.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  27.1 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352068419.613914.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  33.1 KB

I was just getting ready to eBay it since I don't use it anymore.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

5. Likes Wasatch Rebel liked this post
    Most general mountaineering ice axes pretty much are in the same price range; about $60 to $120.

Bear in mind that the above tool is for vertical ice climbing, not general mountaineering.

Make sure to get the correct length of ice axe, which is why you should try the sizing before buying. For a general mountaineering ice axe, hold it loosely in your hand and it should be 1-2" from touching the ground.

If you wanted something for climbing frozen waterfalls or steep ice/snow, the above pictured tool is what you want and they are much shorter.

For climbing the standard routes in spring/summer on say Lone Peak, Twin Peaks, Pfeiferhorn, etc., a general mountaineering axe is what you want, not an ice tool.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes denaliguide, Wasatch Rebel liked this post

Re: Recommend me a low-end but good ice axe

What Scott said ^^^

The type of ice axe you want is often called a mountain axe or mountaineering axe.

Sent using Tapatalk

9. Likes Wasatch Rebel liked this post

Yep, mine is for the steep stuff. I do have a REI ice axe of the straight variety too.

What kind of ice axe are you looking for?
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

11. Likes Wasatch Rebel liked this post
    I'm definitely not going to be climbing iced over waterfalls or anything vertical with it. Like Scott said, more of the mountaineering type is what I would need. So, if I'm looking for that kind, I guess I'd plug into some search engine mountaineering axe or mountain axe and then go by the reviews?

So, if I'm looking for that kind, I guess I'd plug into some search engine mountaineering axe or mountain axe and then go by the reviews?
    #1; go by sizing and get one that fits. The steeper terrain, the shorter the axe, but the general rule for sizing a general mountaineering axe is above.

I don't think any of the mountaineering ice axes in reputable stores would break easily or wear out anytime soon (the can get dull after many years of use, but they do take a beating). New model ice axes seldom break and usually last a very long time.

There is also personal preference, light vs. heavy. Either one works, but either has advantages and disadvantages.

A light axe is of course easier to carry. On the other hand, if you go to the store and buy two blocks of ice and break one with a two pound hammer and one with a five pound hammer, you will notice a difference. Heavy ones are actually easier to self arrest with (or if you need to carve a step, but this is mostly old school with the new crampons), but both work. Heavy ones are more durable and don't dull as much.

I have both now, but only because I left mine home once and had to buy a new one. If it's going to be sitting on my pack for most of the time, or if I'm carrying a lot of other weight, I take the light one, but if it's going to be my hand most or much of the time, I take the heavy one. You really don't need two and both still work, but have certain advantages and disadvantages.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    #1; go by sizing and get one that fits. The steeper terrain, the shorter the axe, but the general rule for sizing a general mountaineering axe is above.
    Thanks. So you'd say, buy one locally, say at REI etc., instead of via the web because I won't have a chance to see if it fits if I order online. Good advice.

Here is what you are looking for....

Ice Axe

any of these would be great. You will also want to buy a leash for your axe and they cost about $20 so you can be out the door with a nice ice axe for about $100.

Name:  LonePeak03s.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  6.7 KB

16. Likes Wasatch Rebel liked this post
    Make sure to get the correct length of ice axe, which is why you should try the sizing before buying. For a general mountaineering ice axe, hold it loosely in your hand and it should be 1-2" from touching the ground.
    Is that holding it by the handle as you would a hammer? So, it will be at a slight angle when you are holding it that way?

Hold the axe similar to in the picture with your plan over the head and the handle down your leg. When standing straight up and holding it like that the tip should be about 2" off the ground.

Sent using Tapatalk

Plan should read palm....

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Hold the axe similar to in the picture with your plan over the head and the handle down your leg. When standing straight up and holding it like that the tip should be about 2" off the ground.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Got it. Thanks.