Thread: Buying used dry suits

Buying used dry suits

Just wondering if anyone has purchased a used dry suit before. Is this a good idea, or is it asking for trouble?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Buying used dry suits

My friend Jeff and I bought used drysuits from ZAC for under $200. They had wear and tear, of course, and there was also a few pinhole leaks in it as well. Jeff had a drysuit which had a small-size wrist gasket and medium-size wrist gasket. He created a tutorial on how to fix it though, and the pinhole leaks were easily fixable with some proper glue. Be sure to use a coverall as well.

Personally for me it was worth it, especially this last trip the Subway with my Dad (first time through Subway and gets cold extremely easily) and he used it and I was very glad he kept him completely dry otherwise it would of been a mess. Be he was perfectly happy in it.

Plus the drysuit has allowed me to do canyons usually inaccessible during the winter months due to the frigid water. Like Keyhole and Pinecreek in March are awesome! Tons of flow, no crowds whatsoever, and very easy to get a permit. Your hard and feet will suffer a bit but get some 5mm or even some drysuit socks and your feet will be much happier.

However, keep in mind, that just because you have a drysuit you are not invincible. The water is still ice-cold and your hands and feet will be numb and downright painful to use which might make overcoming obstacles quite difficult.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    My friend Jeff and I bought used drysuits from ZAC for under $200. They had wear and tear, of course, and there was also a few pinhole leaks in it as well.
    FWIW I had the same experience with my ZAC used drysuit. Easy to fix pinholes and I saved a TON.

Thanks guys, that is great info. Just was kinda worried about possibly blowing 200 on a lemon.