Thread: The story on super slomo........maybe?

The story on super slomo........maybe?

Caveat to start: Much of the below is based on my research into this and only some is based on my experience as you will see. The new GoPro boasts and outrageous 120 fps which would make for some good, super slomo. I believe the previous models had a 60 fps max? I would be interested to know how this goes when one of you money bags picks one up here shortly. My camera will do 60 fps and it really does help for better slomo. However, I have hit a bit of a brick wall in how far I can go. I keep seeing these slomos with just buttery smooth, near stop action. I want to shoot some snowboard jumps like that!! I looked into it a bit and believe I now have the "gouge" (to use a Navy term). These perfect looking super slomos are usually made with the high end versions of Adobe, Sony Vegas PRO, etc AND a plugin called Twixtor. Last summer I did some research and got some good input here on this site and decided on Sony Vegas. I bought the mid version of Sony Vegas and I like it a lot EXCEPT that it only allows me to slow to .25 speed. WLMM goes down to .18 I seem to recall or something about that. So, I believe that even with some nice 120 fps work, and using the best software that I currently own (which is Sony Vegas MS HD Platinum 11 or something like that), I would still hit the .25 brick wall. I believe that Twixtor and other similar plugins only match up with the Top end versions of the previously mentioned software. Soooooo, my current conclusion is that EVEN if I were to somehow sneak a Hero3 Black purchase without Mrs DesertDuke catching me, I would still have to buy the Sony Vegas PRO (top version) so that it would mesh with Twixtor, which I would also have to buy and I think it runs around $100. Soooooooo.....bottom line is that I would be dropping about $1100 to hit my goal; getting some 120 fps footage and creating the correct velocity envelope and fill in for the super slomo and I don't think that I would even be able to see the difference moving up from 60 to 120 without the xtra $500-$600 in software. Hmmmm......I think I may have to start the "Find your own food Friday" idea with my kids again to save up some cash. Usually I only institute that in summer when the grasshoppers are out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WLMM will slow down to 0.125x, or an 8th the original speed. It will currently only allow up to 60 frames per second too, I imagine they can just push out an update on this soon once the demand builds.

But I wonder how much the film will be degraded if you process it twice to get it down to that slow speed. I guess you'd be losing frames though if you shot at 120, processed at 60. Hopefully they push that update down soon to WLMM because I'm planning on getting the GoPro Hero3 Black. Otherwise I'll just step up to 1080 at 60fps rather than 720 at 120fps.