Thread: Red Rock Canyon NCA Anchor Management Plan up for Review

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Red Rock Canyon NCA Anchor Management Plan up for Review

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is in discussion regarding their fixed anchor policy in the Wilderness sections of the Park. There are Canyons there.

While I generally feel that bolting should be discouraged, I also think this is a choice that each climber and canyoneer should make, and that (other than prohibiting power drills) prohibiting hand-bolting is not something the government should manage for us.

At the moment, bolting in the Wilderness is prohibited. A permit can be requested for replacing un-safe bolts in the Wilderness sections of the Park, but that is it.

The Access Fund (rock climbers Access group) has set up an action-item website with an easy-comment widget. I have edited their stock letter to include canyoneers, and copied it below. You may or may not agree with my position, but I encourage you to have your voice heard in any case.

http://www.accessfund.org/c.tmL5KhNW...267&aid=518934

Thanks.

Tom

My letter:

Climbing is a historical and appropriate use of the wilderness areas within Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area (Red Rock). Canyoneering has a much shorter historical record, but epitomizes the kind of "primitive and unconfined recreation experience" for which Wilderness Areas are designated by Congress. Canyoneering and climbing safely requires some level of fixed anchor use and the appropriate level of use should be established on an area-by-area basis. The canyoneering community discourages the use of drilled anchors, preferring natural anchors whenever possible.

In general, climbers and canyoneers(guided by formal policy and local ethics) should determine when and how to use fixed anchors. Fixed anchors are permitted under the Wilderness Act and if properly managed do not degrade wilderness resources and characteristics. Fixed anchors can be used as a tool to minimize climbing impacts to fragile soil, vegetation and wildlife in wilderness. Power drills and bolt intensive

2. Likes Mountaineer, denaliguide liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice, Tom. I've already sent my comments in.

Be curious if anyone went to any of the BLM hosted meetings?

I'll be clipping fixed anchors in said Red Rocks this weekend! Whoo hoo!

well said!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Will AmericanCanyoneers.org also be posting their position?

Also, the link to AccessFund doesn't seem to be working with FireFox (it does work with IE).