Thread: Drive-Up Moab Suggestions

Drive-Up Moab Suggestions

*Disclaimer skip the first paragraph to avoid gratuitous details of my life *

I don't know that I have talked about this on Bogley or not, but my Mom had breast cancer for the second time this year. Since doing Chemo and radiation the first time (9 years ago) she has had a really hard time being in the sun too long, and her strength has just not recovered the way we would like this second time (though she is now cancer free). My family believes is giving memories has gifts instead of more traditional gifts (generally) and part of our Christmas gift to my parents this year was a camping trip to Moab. Due to her cancer we had to put off the trip, and we kept hoping she would get stronger before we went but it just hasn't happened.

My wife, kids, & I are taking my parents camping this weekend in Moab. My Mom does not do very well with being in the sun for extended periods of time, and we are looking for some drive up destinations in Moab. We play on doing Landscape Arch in Island in the Sky / Canyon Lands and taking them to Upheaval dome. Does anyone have any other good simple to access / see destinations in the Moab area? I would love to take my parents rappelling in Moab if there is easily (almost handicap) accessible spot to go.

As always any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S.- I shared the part about cancer to explain why we are so limited, and why she is so weak right now. I trust those who would care are "sorry to hear that my Mom had cancer again", or is "happy for me that she is now cancer free again", etc. and so I would really REALLY appreciate it if this thread could be about drive-up / easily accessible locations in Moab and not about cancer.

Thanks again.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If she would be interested in checking out rock art, there are a lot of petroglyphs right along the Potash Road next to the river.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Potash Road, Kane Springs and Seven Mile all have great rock art accessible from the road or a very short hike.

She should be able to do just about everything listed under family fun

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/index.htm

Name:  nefertiti4.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  51.8 KB

What kind of vehicle are you driving? That can make a huge difference on places to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    What kind of vehicle are you driving? That can make a huge difference on places to go.
    True. We will be in my Dodge Mini-Van.

Re: Drive-Up Moab Suggestions

Dan, check your PM's.

Sent using Tapatalk

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Corona Arch, also just off Potash is a short hike in & out..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail is a very short walk with dinosaur bones in the ground. Also, the dinosaur tracks are near the petroglyphs mentioned above, but I'm sure you already knew that one.

Also Fisher Towers, of course all the popular arches in Arches NP, etc. Also consider a river cruise.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Just hiking along the slickrock bike trail can be an entertaining venture. She can watch the bikers and walk over to some of the canyon viewpoints. You can turn around at any point you want. Just give the bikers plenty of room. Won't be so overrun this time of year. Corona Arch is a must see. Negro Bill canyon & Mill Creek are classic hikes with desert streams to refresh in and plenty of shade. Couthouse Wash from either the top (Arches NP) or bottom (just north of town & the river crossing) can be very nice & offers miles of canyon scenery.

11. Likes Byron liked this post

Re: Drive-Up Moab Suggestions

If I understand this correctly.... this is an older woman with health issues... I'm guessing Corner Arch, Fisher Towers, Negro Bill, ect, are all too much for her.

Sent using Tapatalk

IceAxe is right. My Mom is older and weaker. My son was able to do Fisher Towers when he was two, but my Mom could not currently do Fisher Towers.

The Sego Canyon rock art sites might be an easy access place to stop on your way to or from Moab. Also a few miles south of Moab is Wilson Arch. Great viewing from the roadside or a hundred yards or so hike to the base. A few miles further south is the Rt 211 turnoff for Canyonlands. Newspaper Rock easy access is 5 or so miles down 211.

Here is what I'm thinking:

Birthing Scene Petroglyphs - Moab

Colorado River Float

Dinosaur Tracks - Moab

Eye of the Whale - Arches National Park

Faux Falls - Moab

Gemini Bridges - Moab

Intestine Man Petroglyph - Moab

Moab Mammoth Petroglyph - Moab

Moonflower Canyon Petroglyphs - Moab

Nefertiti Petroglyphs - Green River

Newspaper Rock - Canyonlands

Potash Petroglyphs & Dinosaur Tracks - Moab

Sego Canyon - Green River

Shay Canyon Petroglyphs - Canyonlands

Tusher Tunnel - Moab

Yellow Cat Mines - Moab

16. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    The Sego Canyon rock art sites might be an easy access place to stop on your way to or from Moab. Also a few miles south of Moab is Wilson Arch.
    Newspapaer Rock, Shay Canyon, Road Side Ruin trail in canyonlands, Wilson Arch and a tour through the house at Hole in the Rock would make a nice afternoon for an older person with health issues.

Sego Canyon and Nefertiti Petroglyphs would make for some nice stops on the way home....

Also, you might consider skipping Moab and doing Nine Mile Canyon. It's all driving along a dirt road and stopping to get out and view rock art and ruins. Also two great measuems in Price (Natural History and the train/mining).

Attachment 60654

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If I understand this correctly.... this is an older woman with health issues... I'm guessing Corner Arch, Fisher Towers, Negro Bill, ect, are all too much for her.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Understood, but the first post suggested options to allow rappelling. If she has enough strength to rappel, then a casual 2 mile hike on relatively flat-ground seemed "in-scope" to see "CORONA Arch"

Quote Originally Posted by Discgo
    I would love to take my parents rappelling in Moab if there is easily (almost handicap) accessible spot to go.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

20. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    If you are headed into Island in the Sky District, the Shaffer Trail is a great drive to get there. Very scenic drive along the river. The first time I saw it, I thought there is no way the road goes up that! But sure enough, it just goes right up it to the top and meets the pavement near the gate. They will make you pay on the way out though, unless of course it's after hours...hint, hint.

Maybe some have driven it lately, but check with the NPS for road conditions, but the last time I drove it, a minivan could easily make it.

I'll second Shane's suggestion of Gemini Bridges, an easy hike. Maybe 2/10ths of a mile? The road from the top by Dead Horse Point should be plenty good for a car.

Also the LaSal Mountain Loop is a very scenic drive and is paved almost the entire way, with only a mile or two still gravel (go figure). Check road conditions, but I doubt there is any snow on it.

Great suggestions. Special thanks to @Iceaxe . @BruteForce was right that I was hoping to take them rappelling but the reality of that has sunk in and I now realize that is not a viable option.