Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egypt 1

Egypt 1

On October 27th, 2012, Steph, Tony (@Absolute Gravity ), Lindsey and I headed through Egypt 1. It was Lindsey's first technical canyoneering adventure.

It is surprising that Egypt 1 doesn't get more publicity. It is more fun than E2, and almost as good as E3. Heck, it is WAY better than E2 if you don't include E2's giant headwall rappel. The slotty section of E1 was much longer and far prettier than we anticipated.

Once in a while you get the right combination of people, weather and adventure. It becomes the recipe for canyoneering euphoria. This was to be the case during our leisurely hike through E1. No racing the clock, no concerns about the obstacles ahead; it was simply a pleasant stroll through an amazing place.

Bob

Name:  IMG_5032.JPG
Views: 2845
Size:  241.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5034.JPG
Views: 12721
Size:  197.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5042.JPG
Views: 1537
Size:  199.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5053.JPG
Views: 1524
Size:  159.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5054.JPG
Views: 1528
Size:  187.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5058.JPG
Views: 1537
Size:  188.7 KB

One of the interesting sandstone features that abound in the Egypts. I call this one "The Pig".
    Name:  IMG_5062.JPG
Views: 1556
Size:  241.6 KB

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...y-lindsey.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Cool.

What's the beta?

And coordinates for the start would be helpful, as no canyon called E1 is marked on the USGS map. I think I know which one you mean, but I am not 100% sure.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Tom

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    ..........really?

Thanks for the TR Bob! Looks like Im gonna have to put it on the list!

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

Re: Egypt 1

Great read. Especially liked your comment on leisurely enjoying the canyon, and not just blasting through it.

Adventure, challenges, scenery, ... Nice.

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks for the TR. Nice pictures. When we first did E1 a couple of years ago we had a little trouble finding an easy exit up those lower ledges at the base of the canyon. We had to use a bit of scrambling and partner assist to get up them.

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    What's the beta?

Tom
    Okydok... I find it very strange that you haven't done E1. If I ever run into you out there, I'll be happy to show you the way.

The beta I used comes from Kelsey's Slot Canyon Guide to the Colorado Plateau.

His beta was OK, but I would change a few things:

Enter the canyon here: 37' 34 '20 " N 111° 15' 27" W

The first drop is an optional rappel, downclimb possible RDC. There are three rappels further down canyon. I suppose they all might be downclimbed by the highly skilled or by those that desire a broken ankle. For most people, all three drops are mandatory rappels. One 40 foot rope is all you will need.

The ability to assess and build deadman anchors is required to complete this adventure; bring 50 feet of webbing for this purpose and be sure to extend your anchors to prevent rope grooves. The first rappel is from a sling draped around a bolder. It is about 15 feet. The second rappel is from a deadman down a gentle slope. It is about 15 feet. The third rappel is also from a deadman down a steeper slope. It is about 20 feet.Near the end of the canyon is an awesome slide, it is about 20-25 feet.

Exit the canyon RDC here: 37° 33' 26" N 111° 15' 49" W

Hike west around the mesa. Looking at the southernmost end of the mesa you will see some stacked blocks. This is bottom the Kelsey Exit. It is very steep and looked like certain suicide to our group, so we continued hiking to the west side of the mesa.

We discovered a very easy exit here: 37° 33' 31" N 111° 16' 09" W

Once you arrive at the top of the mesa, hike due east from the "easy exit" (don't be tempted to hike north yet) until you get to the Kelsey Exit trail or until you arrive at the rim for Egypt 1. Hike north until you arrive back at your vehicle. This loop should take most groups 3.5-4.5 hours to complete.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

12. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    Thanks for the TR. Nice pictures. When we first did E1 a couple of years ago we had a little trouble finding an easy exit up those lower ledges at the base of the canyon. We had to use a bit of scrambling and partner assist to get up them.
    Ya, while Tony and I were busy trying to get ourselves killed on said ledges, Steph and Lindsey found a super easy way to get out. It's like climbing a flight of stairs with one interesting (semi-exposed, easily belayed 5.6) move at the top. Lindsey has never been climbing or canyoneering and she did it without assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Cool.

What's the beta?

And coordinates for the start would be helpful, as no canyon called E1 is marked on the USGS map. I think I know which one you mean, but I am not 100% sure.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Tom
    Sarcasm????

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Sarcasm????
    My acknowledgement of possible/probable sarcasm:

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Okydok... I find it very strange that you haven't done E1. If I ever run into you out there, I'll be happy to show you the way.
    The existing beta for this canyon kind of sucks. Even without Tom's snarky cue, I intended to share my version anyway. It is a great canyon, especially for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Sarcasm????
    No sarcasm.

I don't use the Proud Anti-Semite's books; I've been meaning to do that and those canyons for awhile. Now I have the beta.

Thank you.

Tom

Thanks for the great trip report. I went through there one day prior and had a blast as it was my first technical canyon. I was afraid to post anything as I thought the experienced and skilled would poke fun at the "newbie". Oh yeah...you are a much better photographer than me!

18. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBannon View Post
    Thanks for the great trip report. I went through there one day prior and had a blast as it was my first technical canyon. I was afraid to post anything as I thought the experienced and skilled would poke fun at the "newbie". Oh yeah...you are a much better photographer than me!
    Welcome to the Bog, Race Bannon.

We try to be friendly, but don't always succeed.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBannon View Post
    Hey! We were the group that drove by and waved as you were setting up around noon.

People "poking fun" at you is an opportunity to learn. Sometimes it stings a little, but that is better than not knowing that you are making an error.

Also, thanks for the compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    No sarcasm.

Thank you.

Tom
    You're welcome. Since you are a better climber than me, you might prefer the Kelsey Exit. It is located about here: 37

[QUOTE=Slot Machine;516080]
    You're welcome. Since you are a better climber than me, you might prefer the Kelsey Exit. It is located about here: 37

Nice to see a new picture on the home page. The Sawtooth Mountain shot was getting OLD.

23. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Wow. That 5th picture in your series is one worth printing up big and framing. Stunning shot! Trip reports like that make me really wish I knew how to rappel and do the more technical hikes.

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Sheridan View Post
    Wow. That 5th picture in your series is one worth printing up big and framing. Stunning shot! Trip reports like that make me really wish I knew how to rappel and do the more technical hikes.
    TJ,

That canyon is even more stunning in person, and my camera is not that great.

Learning how to slide down a rope isn't particularly difficult, but once you do it, it might change your life in a big way. You have been warned!

Thanks for the kind words!

Bob

27. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    @accadacca
    @Sombeech

This TR is pretty mangled. I published a bunch of GPS coordinates on this thread that are now gone! Useful information for others and a lot of work to write-up.

Other TR's are mangled as well.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Is this going to get fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    @accadacca
    @Sombeech

This TR is pretty mangled. I published a bunch of GPS coordinates on this thread that are now gone! That was a LOT of work.

Other TR's are mangled as well.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Is this going to get fixed?

I'll get this back for you. Sorry, there are some reports with missing data. We've got the backups, we're working on a process to get them back.

Thank you!