Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Potholes- Scariest? Deepest? Anecdotes?

Eric--is that LSA? It's been a few years since that one has been in keeper mode.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've seen potholes in the Entrada (Arches), Navajo (duh) , Wingate (seen some in Ding/Dang), Shinarump (Wolverine mini slots), and Cedar Mesa (Blackhole), what are some other rock types they frequent?

Some are in the Redwall as well. The Weber Sandstone has some too.

Is there a reason they form in some canyons of the same rock type, but not others? Are they more common in one rock type over another? Obviously slight differences in the composition of the local host rock are going to influence it, but do people have a guess as to why? Why are the canyons in the Navajo around Bullfrog so quick to generate potholes but others in the Navajo elsewhere are not?

Several reasons I think.

Around Bullfrog, there is a purplish layer in the Navajo that whenever the canyons cross through it, they are laced with potholes (such as around Lost Eden). It has a different composition.

Steep drainages with tilted rock strata also form many potholes (i.e. the San Rafael Reef and Waterpocket Fold). This is true of the Navajo (Quandary, Segars Hole/Squeeze, North Fork Iron Wash, Poe, etc.) and the Cedar Mesa SS (Three Fingers).

Even if not tilted, tight constrictions in canyons where they drop steeply also form potholes (Imlay, Peach, etc.).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes outsider liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    Eric--is that LSA? It's been a few years since that one has been in keeper mode.
    Yes it is.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    I've seen potholes in the Entrada (Arches), Navajo (duh) , Wingate (seen some in Ding/Dang), Shinarump (Wolverine mini slots), and Cedar Mesa (Blackhole), what are some other rock types they frequent?
    The Coconino Sandstone down here in AZ also forms some pretty large potholes, most notably in the canyons that drain into West fork of Oak Creek, Illusions, Insomnia and Barney Springs. There are also some smaller potholes in the canyons of West Clear Creek, like the keeper in Shamrock, but they are less prevelant in WCC than they are in West fork of Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    "The Wart Pothole" in Smiling Cricket

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    A canyon I did in Spain was in limestone. Barranco del Infierno in the Costa Blanca.

http://deco.alc.upv.es/cuevasalicant...fern%20022.pdf

Surprisingly deep potholes, all defeated by end around via ferrata rigging, some, fairly strenuous.

Name:  Inferno 10-11-11_0061.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  Inferno 10-11-11_0104.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  115.3 KB

Was thinkin' a couple of these woulda been "interesting" with the potshot type techniques. Low risk to try for sure!

Great photo's upthread of the deepies. Thanks!

Too bad that video link doesnt work. The Wart Hole is by far the most intimidating pothole I have seen. Much more so that the Pit of Dispair.

Name:  WartHole.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  66.3 KB

Water Canyon

The funniest pothole experience I've seen was during a quick descent of Water Canyon. There are several small potholes that are easily bypassed, but one managed to cause a bit of irritation. We were doing a short rap to what looked like a ledge from above. I told him I'd carry it, but my partner decided to toss his 60m rope he was carrying down to the ledge. When I rapped down the rope had vanished in a small but deep hole that was full of water.

He tried to swim to the bottom of the hole a couple times but didn't reach the bottom and couldn't feel the rope. I was laughing so hard watching him struggle in that small hole I wasn't much help. After he finally gave up. We hiked out leaving the rope behind. We had to leave right afterward for work, so I passed the location to my son at Zion Adventure Company who easily retrieved the rope the next day.

I'm still sitting here laughing at the image of his legs kicking above the water from the flotation of his wet suit as he was trying to reach the bottom...
    You just don't know how fast things can go wrong!

www.parkcitycarservice.com "Just Leave the driving to us"
    866-361-2925

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    Too bad that video link doesnt work. The Wart Hole is by far the most intimidating pothole I have seen. Much more so that the Pit of Dispair.
    Here is the direct link to the video:

Potholes- Scariest? Deepest? Anecdotes?

Here's a neat one. Points if anyone knows where it is

14. Likes Kuya liked this post

Re: Potholes- Scariest? Deepest? Anecdotes?

That is really a cool pic...not Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Here's a neat one. Points if anyone knows where it is
    Beautiful! Where is it?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Potholes- Scariest? Deepest? Anecdotes?

Quote Originally Posted by dweaver2130 View Post
    South Africa?
    Nailed it. Bourkes luck potholes.

Re: Potholes- Scariest? Deepest? Anecdotes?

Sweet looking potholes

Sent using Tapatalk

This is still one of my favorite keepersName:  2009 Lake Powell Centaur&Pegasus canyons 107.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  88.1 KB. On Powell. But guiding-lining it with a Sandtrap Sandwich made it so easy....

Quote Originally Posted by sasteve49 View Post
    This is still one of my favorite keepers. On Powell. But guiding-lining it with a Sandtrap Sandwich made it so easy....
    Amazing!