Thread: Middle Earth 1 year anniversary of descent. And bday celebration

Middle Earth 1 year anniversary of descent. And bday celebration

Premise:

Last year, Mojave Silence and I ventured into a canyon, which was originally thought to be "ho-hum", 5 or so years ago. The first 3 drops have been done, but the team bailed out, as the canyon didn't look like there was much to it. So Dave and I went back in to conquer this canyon, which fell on my birthday. Lot's of work, and 3 days total of scouting and building of natural anchors. In the end, the route is bolted, with 9 drops, and the most unique rock formations I have ever seen.

Today:

Weather has been very dry and very warm. Saturation of the land was VERY low. Because of the no new recent run off from rains, the water was transparent blue. Plants were very happy and strong in the sun. It's quite a stupid bushwhack to the first rappel. We spread the grass wide, and you find the first plunge pool. Transparent vibrant blue. The excitement grows, and I just have to hurry and get in. We rap on down and plop in the water... cool, refreshing, and the water reflecting on the cliff walls were dancing. Already an amazing day.

We venture off to the next rappel. Slippery paths, downclimbs, and a few fallen guava trees somewhat obscuring your way. As the big 220ft waterfall approaches, my heart rate goes up. What was once a narrow section, is now staring out into a wide open valley. It's a very sudden drop off, and you can see a massive 200ft long and wide pool while standing at the top. Something about this drop, gets my heart going more than any other drop i've done. Even more so than T5, which is a 600ft beast. We rap down in a few minutes, and we get blasted by water near the bottom. Very refreshing and wakes you up. When finally off rappel and swimming away, we glance back at the 220ft waterfall, next thing we know... we're in awe of how gorgeous this waterfall truly is.

Next drop is tiny. 40ft but fun, with a lot of water. No issues or anything "special" there. The drop after is bomber. 60ft from the achor, into some crazy rock formations. Future arches, lots of unique boulders and rock shapes. Even the largest pothole/keeper EVER. I'd say it's about 50ft long, 15ft deep, and 20ft wide. Funny part, is that its in the middle of an open spot. Probably a collapsed lava tube. Glancing ahead of the canyon.. just more blue beauty mixed with green foliage, mustard colored algae, and solid basalt. Next drop is a 40ft rap with a fallen tree. I've concluded if I was in the mood to jump.. it's doable. Looks cool to rap in all that water though.

Now we enter a room where things get real crazy. From here to the end, is the best section of the canyon. Do a short 20ft jump into a deep pool, and swim to where teh stream somewhat splits. From here, we rapped down into the room with double arches, stacked on each other. While on rappel, you get a glance of double caves also stacked on each other. Down canyon is narrow, deep blue swims.. that bends through the canyon. Here we began the rotten Guava Wars, while Melissa harvests edible Hawaiian fern.

We get to the next drop, and its a nice 2 stage rappel. Caves stacked on each other and just plain gorgeous. Lot's of little streaming waterfalls. We finally make our way to the final rappel. I've been told it resembles Pine creek.. except much nicer. Someone else can be the judge. We rap through a tube/arch, play with a spider, and take a few last looks at what's behind. I've never seen the water so clear, and yet its at a relatively high level. Today was the best day Middle Earth has ever been. Middle Earth has given me the best bday present ever!

Ren

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2312f2602b

pics on my facebook. Too lazy to upload here as well

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome! I can't think of a better way to celebrate a birthday!
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome! Nice descent!

T

Quote Originally Posted by Renatomic808 View Post
    pics on my facebook. Too lazy to upload here as well
    Ren, man that sounds fun. However, Bogley is my Facebook. I'll just close my eyes and imagine your photos...

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

6. Likes Renatomic808 liked this post
    Ok fine.. i will upload a few on here. Mainly because you are a good sport about it.

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

10. Likes oldno7, Slot Machine, Mojave Silence liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Renatomic808 View Post
    Ok fine.. i will upload a few on here. Mainly because you are a good sport about it.
    Wow man, the stuff you post just gets better and better...

Love the fallen logs, same with the double natural bridge photo! AWESOME stuff!

What is the world is that spider calling home?? It that a bent vine?

Thanks for sharing!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Great fun! That spider does look cool. Next time I'm in Hawaii, looks like I need to do less scuba and more canyoneering... ;-)

Thanks for posting.