Thread: Climbing death in Zion - Angels Landing area

Bogley BigShot

Climbing death in Zion - Angels Landing area

Lyle was one of Bo's closest friends. The other 3 on the climb were also close friends of Bo's. He had to do the body recovery. Horrible news!

Zion National Park
    News Release
    October 27, 2012
    For Immediate Release
    Aly Baltrus 435-772-0160
    Alyssa_baltrus@nps.gov
    12-21

Climber Dies in Fall at Zion National Park

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Lyle Dale Hurd III, age 49, of Santa Clara, died Friday afternoon, October 26, 2012, after taking a fall while climbing in Zion National Park. The cause of the incident is currently under investigation by the Washington County Sheriff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So very sad!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

4. Likes tanya liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Tragic....

6. Likes Sandstone Addiction, tanya liked this post

A Great Friend Deeply Missed

One of the most difficult things I've ever had to do in my life. Lyle lived his dreams each and every day. I am so very happy that I could take part in his dreams! Not once did I hear a complaint. I miss you so much brother. We all miss you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Likes tanya liked this post
    Aww man, can't imagine.... Sorry Bo.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

10. Likes tanya liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    I know how close you were to Lyle, Bo.

I still smile when I remember you telling stories about the two of you like when he dumped you out of the canoe and all the times he invited you over, IF you brought the wine. Only true friends can do those things!

I remember hanging with him at the Rat. Great guy! Yes, he will be missed.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    A picture of me and Lyle from out trip. I only met him a few times but he was a great guy that lived life! I couldn't and still don't believe the news.

I feel really sorry for Bo and others that were really close to him. I know how much he will be missed in their lives

13. Likes tanya liked this post

Sad sad news. What a terrible loss. Lyle was full of life and kindness.

Bo, I'm so sorry for your loss. What strength you showed by helping with the recovery. Once again, thank you for your work with SAR. Too too often, you pay such a high price to help others.
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

15. Likes tanya liked this post
    Tanya,
    What would have really given you a great big grin was to watch Bo and Lyle repeatedly argue over who really dumped who out of the canoe. The two of them were like brothers trying desperately to get one up on each other. Better than a 4 star movie!!

Lyle truly was "one of a kind" and had so many giving and generous qualities that one wouldn't expect when meeting him initially. When he was displaced from his home due to a recent flood, his first concern was for his animals - cats, dog, and chickens. He was especially giving and watchful over anyone who joined him on a climb. Once I got over the initial disbelief of his passing, I began to realize just how much of a loss this presents to so many. He was so unselfish in teaching others to climb and he always made it an entertaining adventure. He had a true passion for climbing and would find any excuse (or manufacture an excuse) just to get in another climb. This was evidenced by the monthly moonlight climbs (under a full moon) he loved and shared with anyone who would join in. There aren't words to adequately describe the void that will be left due to his departure but suffice to say that he will be truly missed. I know there are more than a few who will think of him every time we see a full moon.

Bo - I never thought that pic above would be the last. I'm going to remember how much he enjoyed that day and how much fun he had taking pictures of the bull in the pasture below. It was a very good day!

17. Likes tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tyro View Post
    Bo - I never thought that pic above would be the last. I'm going to remember how much he enjoyed that day and how much fun he had taking pictures of the bull in the pasture below. It was a very good day!
    It wasn't the last picture. Last night we all were at the top of "the Lyleness of it all" under a full moon. Duck tape on our seats, t-shirt headbands, cheap wine in recycle able bottles, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, music playing on our phones.

19. Likes tanya liked this post
    Was in the St. George area last weekend and we heard about this when down there. Drove through Santa Clara yesterday. Sad, sad deal. Big loss to the local community.

Condolences all around.

21. Likes tanya liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by tyro View Post
    Tanya,
    What would have really given you a great big grin was to watch Bo and Lyle repeatedly argue over who really dumped who out of the canoe. The two of them were like brothers trying desperately to get one up on each other. Better than a 4 star movie!!

Lyle truly was "one of a kind" and had so many giving and generous qualities that one wouldn't expect when meeting him initially. When he was displaced from his home due to a recent flood, his first concern was for his animals - cats, dog, and chickens. He was especially giving and watchful over anyone who joined him on a climb. Once I got over the initial disbelief of his passing, I began to realize just how much of a loss this presents to so many. He was so unselfish in teaching others to climb and he always made it an entertaining adventure. He had a true passion for climbing and would find any excuse (or manufacture an excuse) just to get in another climb. This was evidenced by the monthly moonlight climbs (under a full moon) he loved and shared with anyone who would join in. There aren't words to adequately describe the void that will be left due to his departure but suffice to say that he will be truly missed. I know there are more than a few who will think of him every time we see a full moon.

Loving everything you wrote here!

I would like to thank everyone for their wishes, thoughts and prayers. I have extended those expressions to family and friends these past few days.

My sincere condolences also extend to Win and Yo with prayer that full recovery is swift!

Andy (Tyros), my thoughts and prayers also are with you and your family and hopes that your brother is peaceful!

Sometimes it is easy to forget just how temporary life might be? I am trying to remember my current situation and enjoy each day, and hope that you might do the same.

24. Likes oldno7, tanya liked this post

26. Likes tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Sorry to hear about this
    Thanks Justin,
    The grieving has ended and celebration continues. A little bit of Lyle lives in us all. A lesson learned: it matters not who you are or what you've done, you'll always leave behind what matters. Memories. Can we truly ask for more?

28. Likes tanya liked this post

Visitors found this page by searching for:

angels landing deaths 2012

angels landing death 2014

climbing deaths in zion national park

list of deaths in zion national park

deaths at angels landing

angels landing death october 2012

angels landing zion deaths 2012

Lyle D. Hurd

angels landing deaths 2014

angels landing fatalities 2014