Thread: October Road Trip - Canyon #2 - Baptist Draw into Upper Chute Canyon

October Road Trip - Canyon #2 - Baptist Draw into Upper Chute Canyon

After our warm-up in the Roost, we headed across the street to the swell. Did the short route, up Chute canyon. Fantastic! Great canyon and not too far from Colorado! I will definitely be back.

A storm system was headed into the area later in the evening, and I was worried we might have to call this one off. Luckily the weather held off and gave us enough time to get out of the swell before the roads turned into soup.

Enjoy!

Name:  IMG_0558.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  145.0 KBName:  IMG_0564.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  142.1 KBName:  IMG_0611.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  103.8 KBName:  IMG_0633.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  142.2 KBName:  IMG_0653.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  113.3 KBName:  IMG_0676.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  133.0 KBName:  IMG_0693.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  88.8 KBName:  IMG_0743.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  93.6 KBName:  IMG_0775.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  152.6 KBName:  IMG_0807.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  103.8 KBName:  IMG_0864.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  77.0 KBName:  IMG_0897.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  111.3 KBName:  IMG_0922.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  94.9 KBName:  IMG_0937.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  148.3 KBName:  IMG_0940.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  157.1 KBName:  IMG_0962.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  134.2 KBName:  IMG_0975.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  104.3 KBName:  IMG_0991.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  190.5 KBName:  IMG_1005.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  108.2 KBName:  IMG_1051.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  127.9 KBName:  IMG_1070.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  137.7 KBName:  IMG_1091.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  131.2 KBName:  IMG_1096.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  96.2 KBName:  IMG_1099.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  139.1 KBName:  IMG_1104.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  50.6 KBName:  IMG_1112.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  109.4 KBName:  IMG_1129.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  105.5 KB

Peter Jans Photography

2. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Some Beautiful lighting in there. Great pictures. Loved the one with the two guys on the walls across from each other.

Great pictures! Makes me want to hit that canyon. It's been on my list for a while now, just haven't made it out there.
    --Cliff

What's that upclimb like? It looks pretty serious from the pic.

Pictures are gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

Upclimb is no problem, the last pic is actually taken from the trail as it parallels the canyon on the way back after the climb out.

This is what I was wondering about...

Is this looking up canyon? Was it difficult to defeat?

That one is not too bad. Anyone with decent upper body strength can do the moves required. If not, I am sure a partner assist would take care of any issues.

I didn't find it particularly difficult.

The photo is taken looking down Chute canyon; we were traveling up-canyon.

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Looks awesome! I'm doing this canyon next week and I'm glad to see its dry (as of now). How long did it take you to do the whole canyon? I only have a 2 wheel drive sedan so I'm a little worried about the roads. How were there?

I have done Baptist/Lower Chute a couple of times, but never ventured up the canyon. where do you exit to start back to the car?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

There's more than one way to exit upper Chute above Baptist, but this is what's worked for us on 3 separate occasions. About 2/3 to 3/4 mile above the Chute/Baptist confluence, after the slotted canyon turns back to the north, the slot section will end rather abruptly and the canyon open up some. You'll be walking in more of a wash bottom. You can then easily hike out to the left (west) and gain a ridge above the canyon. You'll see a well-used trail here that will lead up onto the ridge. (If you come to a place where a well-defined drainage enters from both sides of the canyon, you've gone too far but it may also be possible to head up the left/west drainange. Just longer route.) From there, route find your way back to Baptist Draw above the narrows by basically heading west then WSW. Once across Baptist, you can route find your way south back to your camp/vehicle.

I used 4wd and my recollection is a little hazy. The road most of the way was in good shape and I am pretty sure the last bit wasn't bad either.

There was one section of knee deep water that our 6'5" buddy was able to full body stem over. It was fairly high consequence so I chose to just walk through it. However, I am 80% sure it flashed later that night. Hasn't rained much since then as far as I can tell, so who knows.

Awesome route. Just take it to where the side canyons come in on both sides and backtrack 5 minutes to exit. Have fun!

When we did that route 2 years ago we were able to walk under that that up climb

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    There's more than one way to exit upper Chute above Baptist, but this is what's worked for us on 3 separate occasions. About 2/3 to 3/4 mile above the Chute/Baptist confluence, after the slotted canyon turns back to the north, the slot section will end rather abruptly and the canyon open up some. You'll be walking in more of a wash bottom. You can then easily hike out to the left (west) and gain a ridge above the canyon. You'll see a well-used trail here that will lead up onto the ridge. (If you come to a place where a well-defined drainage enters from both sides of the canyon, you've gone too far but it may also be possible to head up the left/west drainange. Just longer route.) From there, route find your way back to Baptist Draw above the narrows by basically heading west then WSW. Once across Baptist, you can route find your way south back to your camp/vehicle.
    Thank you! I am hoping to go this route this weekend :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Enjoy! I know I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    There is a very prominent pyramid looking rock formation that makes for a good landmark to guide you back to your car/camp. It'll be on your left (north) as you approach Baptist. The route basically is a "lollipop" shape and the "stick" goes past this landmark.