Thread: Adding friction on the Totem

Adding friction on the Totem

I
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am 210lbs, usually 230+ with a pack and gear, and I have found vertaco mode with a leg loop biner to be more than enough friction for me, even on skinny ropes. I used this setup on the big entry rap into Englestead and only had to slightly pull up on the leg loop biner half way down to have enough friction.

You can also add friction in vertaco mode by pulling the rope over the top of the totem and use the groove inbetween the 8 hole and slots like you would the horns on a pirana or ATS.

I havent played with single line throttle mode much, but I do like using throttle mode when rappeling double line.

4. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    I will have to post a picture, but I used a single line "Z-rig" when I did heaps in September (And despite the criticism that I received on my TR, I LOVED the way that rappel went). BTW I love my Totem. Who cares about all the haters out there

This is the Z-rig I used on the 300' Heaps rap. But i did it single strand NOT double strand like in this picture. I added a Prusik that was attached to my leg loop as well. Worked awesome!
    Last edited by Kuya; 10-25-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added Picture
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    BTW I love my Totem. Who cares about all the haters out there
    I love my totem also!!!

7. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I will have to post a picture, but I used a single line "Z-rig" when I did heaps in September (And despite the criticism that I received on my TR, I LOVED the way that rappel went). BTW I love my Totem. Who cares about all the haters out there

This is the Z-rig I used on the 300' Heaps rap. But i did it single strand NOT double strand like in this picture. I added a Prusik that was attached to my leg loop as well. Worked awesome!
    I have never used this device before. When using the Z-rig on a single strand, did you run into the problem of too much friction on the first 1/3 of the rappel?? Perhaps it is easier to add friction mid rappel on this device than it appears. I just hate the monotony of feeding 100' of rope through a device because of too much friction.

you can also very easily wrap the brake strand over the top (slotted end) in either vertaco or standard mode. I never use vertaco (knurled part of carabiner gate seems to interfere with rope), but use standard mode a lot and it's so easy to ad friction on the fly that way.
    Name:  IMG_4676.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  85.6 KB

Also, in throttle mode, you can use 2 biners instead of 1 and it auto-locks off on a free-hanging rappel.

Re: Adding friction on the Totem

You use a Totem.... haha....

Sent using Tapatalk

11. Likes Deathcricket, ilipichicuma liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
    I have never used this device before. When using the Z-rig on a single strand, did you run into the problem of too much friction on the first 1/3 of the rappel?? Perhaps it is easier to add friction mid rappel on this device than it appears. I just hate the monotony of feeding 100' of rope through a device because of too much friction.

The 300' rappel went very smooth with this setup on a single strand of rope. I don't remember have a problem at all with too much friction at the start of the rappel.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Adding friction on the Totem

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You use a Totem.... haha....

Sent using Tapatalk
    +1

Snicker....

Let's take something that should be easy and make it super complicated. Totem FTW?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Great feedback! I'll have to give the two biner and over the groove ideas a try. So far, I really like the throttle mode as I can easily and quickly change from low to a higher friction without redirecting the rope. For even more friction, a half Z (on the leg) and back up as MrAdam suggested will probably be enough.

Re:Slipknot: Yes, there was a bit too much friction at the start. And on your comment of hating to feed rope through the first part, I agree with you. I used a 300' rope at Englestead, and it was work to keep lifting up the rope and feeding it through my ATC. Too much work or a problem? Nah...just trying out alternate methods.

I found with the Totem in throttle mode, I just pull down on the Totem and I slip very easily down. I'm just looking for best practices for adding additional friction in throttle mode once you've pushed it to the limit (back up toward the top rope), as that wasn't quite enough for me. The half Z or my full Z as shown in my pic seems to be enough & more than enough.

Nice to have those who are not shy...the "ha ha" and complicated comments... all good.

16. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    The Totem is a bit bigger than most other devices, and yes, you can do "complicated" things with it. However, it makes certain tasks like locking off and adding friction easier than smaller devices. It's also easier IMO to rig as contingency than a figure 8. yes, we know that some people on here don't like to do that, but so what? That's not what this thread was started for.

RE throttle mode:. Ive done it with 1 biner and 2 biners and prefer 2 biners. You just gotta find that sweet spot pulling down the neck to fine tune your friction on a rappel.

Also, you can have a lot of friction in throttle mode if you don't pull down very much and don't need to rig a z-rig once you get familiar with it. Like I said, if you don't pull down at all, it locks off- which is very nice.