Thread: Suggestions for Roost Canyons?

Suggestions for Roost Canyons?

I am looking to go to the Roost soon and would like to get your opinions on some of the best canyons to hike. It will be my first time canyoneering in that area and I would love to hit some of the best slots first. Any and all advice would be great.

-Blake
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As far as my experience goes:

Larry is a blast, with a lot of variety
    High Spur is really beautiful, and fairly simple

Those are my recommendations. It may be that they're two of the three I've done out there, but I really liked both of them.
    --Cliff

4. Likes Kuya liked this post
    I highly recommend East/West forks of big spring canyon (high spur). It is one of my very first canyons which subsequently got me hooked. Short, and a lot of fun with some amazing geology. One place for a description can be found at ajroadtrips.com.

Larry and Alcatraz are best (though I haven't done Chambers).

Both were wet as of last weekend. I'd take a wetsuit in Larry.

Bluejohn, White Roost, Not Mindbender, North Fork, and East Fork Pasture are pretty good.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

depends on your skill level. If you're a competent canyoneer then Alcatraz is a blast. White Roost is good, High Spur is a goodie, Chambers is really good, but physically taxing, Not Mindbender is good - better than Mindbender in my opinion. North Fork Robber's Roost is also really good. Take yer pick. Almost any canyon in that region is really good.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Hey Blake,
    A buddy and I are thinking about heading to The Roost on Halloween night and canyoneering thurs-sun. We're planning on scouting/exploring a canyon for a couple days, then doing maybe Chambers and possibly N/E Fork of Twin Corral Box. If you're fit and competent you're welcome to join us. PM me if you're interested.
    -Sam

They r all fun! U will enjoy them all...

10. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Larry was really wet three weeks ago when we did it.

Water Canyon on Oct 19th was chock full of mud. Still awesome!

High Spur and Big Springs Canyons (East, West and NE Fork) are in the same general area and all are great canyons. I did Big Springs NE Fork in April and thought is was one of the best. Water Canyon is also in that area and I enjoyed it as well, but as mentioned all of these depend upon your skill level.

Here are some of my videos.

Big Spring NE Fork:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kA...4&feature=plcp

Water Canyon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGEK...5&feature=plcp

Here is my youtube channel for other roost videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dadlard?feature=mhee
    Darin

14. Likes Mountaineer liked this post