Thread: trip plans...feasible?

trip plans...feasible?

Hello everyone,

I'm putting together a trip for a group of my friends and I, either for this fall if we can pull it off, or next spring otherwise. Some of us are proficient canyoneers, others are virgins. All of us are physically fit and capable, but not all will go in every canyon. Just wanted to know if this itinerary sounds feasible, or if there is anything you would add/subtract, pointers, etc. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

d1
    drive to hite area.
    V fry/frylette
    hite area

d2
    hite area
    V upper & lower rock canyon
    V scar tissue
    V hatch canyon
    hite area or north wash area

d3
    trachyte
    V nf/trachyte loop
    V upper trachyte tribs
    V lucky charms (after dinner snack)
    hite area/north wash

d4
    to the spur
    V e-w big spring loop
    spur area

d5
    the spur
    V high spur
    V nw fork big spring (if time)
    green river (to meet friends coming from front range)

d6
    lost spring
    V undercover
    V
    mmi
    green river

d7
    lost spring on way home to CO
    V winter camp/repeat/fun size
    go home

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    d3
    trachyte
    V nf/trachyte loop
    V upper trachyte tribs
    V lucky charms (after dinner snack)
    hite area/north wash
    Looks like a lot of long days consecutive, you may want to find ~1/2 day canyon mid-week in there to break it up and give time to relax and regenerate. But hey, I've done several long days back to back also, and they can be fun.

Last year the Trachyte road was really rutted out and difficult to drive, even with my 4x4. I couldn't get closer than a mile to some of the trail heads. Does anyone know if the conditions have changed?

by upper trachyte tribs i mean the hike-to, walk-in slots upstream from UT 276. Speck Creek is one and the other i dont know the name of? sorry, should have specified. but thanks for the thoughts. you're probably right, even i will probably be interested in a break at some point there. there was talk of skipping the spur and going to capitol reef instead too.

Comments:

IMHO, Short Canyon is better than Fry if you are short on time. Fry is still nice though.

Rock Canyon isn't that great; there are much better ones in the area (such as North Wash).

Hatch Canyon is either a really long drive or a long walk just to get to. You can't really see it in a partial day.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

IMHO, Short Canyon is better than Fry if you are short on time. Fry is still nice though.
    ^this^

Short packs alot of bang for its buck and has next to no approach/return hike.

Duckett Slot is a less popular gem about 10 minutes from Short. You could probably do Short and Duckett in a half day.

Thanks for the info! Short Canyon wasn't anywhere on my radar, sounds like a lot of fun. I think we will also call off Hatch, it was kind if a toss in amyway. I know Rock isn't as great as other local canyons, but off the map vs quality is a sacrafice we are willing to make. Has anyone looked into the feasibility of the final drop into the Colorado here? Kinda like waterholes, but float down to Hite....
    Can Crescent Creek [Conundrum] be combined with something else nearby, ie Trachtye or North Wash?
    Again, thanks for everything. You guys are great.

I know Rock isn't as great as other local canyons, but off the map vs quality is a sacrafice we are willing to make. Has anyone looked into the feasibility of the final drop into the Colorado here? Kinda like waterholes, but float down to Hite....

Because Rock Canyon is mostly non technical (it does have one rappel if you go all the way through) and is in guidebooks (and websites), it gets a fair amount of traffic. It isn't really one of the off the radar canyons in the area (of which thre are plenty). You could rappel the last drop, but you won't get to see any more canyon since the HWM of Lake Powell is right at the bottom of the drop and it's just above the Colorado River.

It's an OK canyon; it just isn't as good as most of the others in the area.

There is plenty of stuff around Crescent Creek including North Wash, Maidenwater, Trail, etc. and it will be easy to combine it with something else. Crescent Creek will be a cold one.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Because Rock Canyon is mostly non technical (it does have one rappel if you go all the way through) and is in guidebooks (and websites), it gets a fair amount of traffic. It isn't really one of the off the radar canyons in the area (of which thre are plenty). You could rappel the last drop, but you won't get to see any more canyon since the HWM of Lake Powell is right at the bottom of the drop and it's just above the Colorado River.

It's an OK canyon; it just isn't as good as most of the others in the area.

There is plenty of stuff around Crescent Creek including North Wash, Maidenwater, Trail, etc. and it will be easy to combine it with something else. Crescent Creek will be a cold one.
    Fair enough! What book(s) is Rock Canyon in? I'm going to assume that's in MK's Henries/DD book- fitting, it's the only one I don't have. I know it's not the deepest/darkest/narrowest but I would bet on a given day less people go there than North Wash. I know it sound silly but it's on my list now so I've gotta do it so I can forget about it and move on. The big rap idea would essentially be for the fun of the drop itself and not much else.

Is there any other little guys tucked up in the foothills of the Henries? At least any general drainages to poke my head into? Again, it's not the deepest/darkest/narrowest but that sounds and looks like a cool canyon given it's location and setting....I'm excited to see this canyon and would love to see similar ones....

Thanks again for all your info. I appreciate it greatly!

What book(s) is Rock Canyon in? I'm going to assume that's in MK's Henries/DD book- fitting, it's the only one I don't have.
    It's in his Canyonlands book.

Is there any other little guys tucked up in the foothills of the Henries?
    Yes, plenty. Try North Canyon or some of the other ones around The Block. Upper Trail and Maidenwater are also arguably in the foothills.

Sounds good. Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it. We're having a hard time getting everybody going so it sounds like this might have to get pushed back to next spring.....

Sounds like an awesome trip. can I come? jk

If you are interested we would love to have you, or anyone else. My trips are never exclusive, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned! It is looking more n more like its going to have to be a trip next spring so as it moves closer I will happily supply dates.