Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KTM Talk

KTM Talk

Acca, what bike is your dad riding ? What years of a ktm xcw would you recommend or stay away from ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cherry Creek

My dad borrowed @double moo's '08 530 EXC. He's usually on a 625 SXC.

I'm not really sure what years are best or if there is a bad year for a KTM. There are better years... I know they updated some stuff in '09, then again in '12. If I was researching I'd do it on ktmtalk.com or advrider.com. @double moo has read quite a bit about it. Btw, EXC = street from the factory and XCW = dirt from the factory.

So xc-f is both of those worlds?
    Them boy's (Pro-Cycle) can get me out the door on a 13 XC-W 450 at $9960

I'm thinking I'll never own a brand new bike.
    I'm also thinking that the F model might be more to my liking.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post

I don't know the real designation monikers... but these will keep you close enough.

SX super cross
    MXC moto cross country
    EXC enduro cross country - street legal gear standard
    XC cross country
    XCW cross country wide ratio - can be made street legal easily

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post

Call around. You can probably pick up a 2011 Husa FE 390 like Scotts for close to 6500.00. if you're looking for new.
    It won't have the hit your yz450 has, but it won't matter once you ride it. Remember, we're not riding on a track.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

That 350 looks nice.

So if I go the KTM direction and for those that understand my limited skills that have and have rode with me.
    Should I be looking towards a XC-W or a lighter XC-F in the four stroke? Say a 450xc-w vs a350 xc-f?
    I can't afford anything brand new and I don't think I'd buy anything brand new if I could.
    So I'm looking for something like a 2010 plus if I can keep it about $7400 or most likely less.
    And can I make an xc-f street legal with simple plug and ride lights?
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

KTM Talk

XC-W all the way...

Yeh I'm so digileterit that I have never even heard of a pay for email thing in my hole darn life bro. KTM talk needs this what everthingy.
    But I'm skipping ahead and will check out the other.
    But I do here that the wide range gears suck ass on hill climbs I like second gear to climb myself. gives me one more option but then again you have already seen me on trail and on hill.

K I read it but tell me this acca? If I want this 450 xc-w to really get with the program? Can I make her wheel stand anywhere in the throttle or do I have to be at what I'd suspect about 75% to make it happen?

For instance if I just came around a slightly up hill corner and I'm lugging her for traction and all of a sudden there is a stump in my way do I have to clutch or will I have the power I can sit back a tad and goose that bitch to get it up and over?

Everyone says wide ratio gears are best on the trail and I just don't know and I question the power band to do tricky or needed things and I hope I make some since here but my communication skills suck ass.

If I have the luxury of not stalling at massive torque on the bottom I have nothing to worry about but at almost ten K I want to get it right.

Man if I could only put that XR motor in a 250 lbs bike with an electric magic button I would be a happy camper for sure.
    That pig can lug like no other but as she does you almost always tip over.LMAO
    THe thing is I have so much to learn like how to cross big logs and such and I just have this gut feeling that sometimes you need power right now baby and spread gears give me an uneasy feeling about that one. It's a lot easier to grab more gear when they are closer but desert riding turns that all around.

Is there any dealers that could let me test ride to get a feel maybe for what I have in my head?

The thing is I bet that the new 350 is just about every bit as fast as a few years ago 450 when it is all said and done.
    BUT? When and where you shift is sometimes the difference between making a climb or corner or rock garden or NOT!
    With a shorter gear box it is not that hard to keep your rpm up with the clutches that we have available to us now days but to over lugg and not be able to get out of first gear can be a very bad thing for sure when you need to get your speed up. Mud ,rocks , and mostly sand climbs.
    How many times have WE in our rides been bogged down to this very thing and then spin your wheels so much to make up the difference of speed?????

It is easy to see when this happens to riders as the first thing they do is sit back down in the saddle and duck paddle.
    But if you watch the boys that roll hard they can stay on their feet in the pegs Standing up and roll through the tough stuff with ease!!!!!
    IN the right gear or darn close for the terrain.

There is a lot of ways to make minor gear changes and I did this with my YZ to make her more trail friendly for ME

But I do worry a little when all I hear is wide ratio for trails and yet I don't see it in the pros when they hit shit I would never dream of and they flip the bike this way and then that like it was a trials bike. (NOW THERE IS A CLUE).

Now to the real problem: Do the close range gears build enough momentum to make up the difference? :D

I like what I see in the TRIALS getty up program.

So I guess in short this is exactly why I'm looking at the XC-F model at this time. But I have not purchased nothing as of yet and am all ears at this point.

KTM Talk