Thread: Mystery canyon gear

Mystery canyon gear

Well finally drew permits for mystery and have a few questions for people who have done it recently or during this time of year. Well first off we are doing this as a group of two so weight of the gear is going to be very important cause we all know the hike up observation point isn't flat. We both have all the water protection gear but don't want to have to pack it up if we don't need it. Obviously we want some neo booties and warmer clothes but is there enough water to need wetsuits or could we get by with stripping down and drybagging the clothes on the few swims. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hopefully someone will chime in with more recent conditions but if not, I was there on the 7th and no wetsuits were needed. The "Lake" was about thigh-deep. The Mystery Springs rappel was a swim, but it was short. I hear you about the hike up Observation Point. I was solo and had to carry gear (including a 300' rope) all by myself!

If you are really concerned about weight you can get through with 100' and pull cord. You just have to double stage the final 2 raps but it is a lightweight option. I still think the observation hike beats the long shuttle around though. Probably been about 4 weeks since we went and there was no lake but conditions change fast. I wouldn't pack suits if it was us going through.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    If you are really concerned about weight you can get through with 100' and pull cord.
    You need 120' of rope. I've measured the final two rappels and they were something like 113' and 115'. You actually only need the 120' rope for the final rappel as you can stage the Mystery Springs rappel under the giant chokestone half way down.

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I just did Pinecreek, keyhole, and das boot over the weekend. Keyhole and pine creek were pretty full from the rain a week ago but das boot was surprisingly low. It could be hit or miss with mystery. Since mystery isn't spring fed until the final two raps, I think you will be fine without the wetsuits if you are willing to go through the narrows in 50 degree water. Stripping down won't be an option unless you don't mind walking in your underwear in front of hundreds of people for 30 minutes to the laced trail. I definitely recommend 5-10 canyoneers as it will make the final two raps and narrows exit much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You need 120' of rope. I've measured the final two rappels and they were something like 113' and 115'. You actually only need the 120' rope for the final rappel as you can stage the Mystery Springs rappel under the giant chokestone half way down.

We grabbed the 100' rope last time instead of the 120'. You are exactly right on the last rap but we only had 100'. There is a platform about 80' down that you can walk to the left on and rap off one of the large trees. We used a retrievable anchor so it wouldn't leave any sign but it didn't end up being that big of a deal. I wouldn't totally recommend it but is doable. The first canyon I ever did was mystery and I was taken through by a former park ranger. We did the whole canyon with a single 200' rope and that's why once we were in the canyon I knew we would be ok. The things you can learn by others can save your butt somedays

Mystery canyon gear

I just completed mystery yesterday. On the upper section you could easily get by with out wetsuits ( maybe some knee high potholes) The lake was knee to thigh high if you stuck to the wall RDC.

The spring rap is a swimmer for sure and very cold but short. Walking the narrows could easily be done without a wetsuit.

With all of that said, I did put on a wetsuit at the first sight of water early in the canyon. I'm glad I did. I have found that the 2 extra lb. saves me a ton of time problem solving ways to avoid water it also makes for great padding when in the tight areas or rock hopping. Water is running pretty good at the last rap and nearly impossible to keep from getting wet.

Thanks for all the info guys and recent conditions. Looking forward to finally getting to do this canyon.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    We grabbed the 100' rope last time instead of the 120'. You are exactly right on the last rap but we only had 100'. There is a platform about 80' down that you can walk to the left on and rap off one of the large trees. We used a retrievable anchor so it wouldn't leave any sign but it didn't end up being that big of a deal. I wouldn't totally recommend it but is doable. The first canyon I ever did was mystery and I was taken through by a former park ranger. We did the whole canyon with a single 200' rope and that's why once we were in the canyon I knew we would be ok. The things you can learn by others can save your butt somedays
    I've done that too (stuck rope), but if people do it more than every once in a while, it will kill the trees that are delicately perched on that ledge.

I don't think the extra 20 feet of rope will kill 'em!

Tom

12. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    So did mystery yesterday. What an awesome canyon. I must have bumped my camera on putting it in my pack cause the battery was dead when I went to use it. The hike up actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be we just paced ourselves. Defiantly glad for the wetsuits. Wasn't much water till mystery springs but it was overcast and breezy so the wetsuits kept us warm. Loved all the back to back raps in the narrows and the 2 big raps at the end. Overall amazing day the fall colors in mystery are epic right now.

14. Likes ratagonia liked this post