Thread: La Sportiva Xplorers

La Sportiva Xplorers

Which do you prefer; the low or mid height xplorers? Mid heights cost 50% more, but I see Summit Hut has them on sale right now for $109....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Work for La Sportiva or Summit Hut?

5.10 Canyoneer.

I've got the low cut ones and I like 'em alot, they're comfortable and lightweight and the soles are sticky. They feel kinda like a climbing shoe mixed with a mountaineering boot mixed with a hiking shoe.

The low vs mid height thing may be more personal preference than anything.

I purchased the La Sportivas over the 5.10s because I am usually doing (relatively)dry canyons and don't make it down to Zion for the real wet stuff too often.

Shane(I think) had good advice in a previous post, he recommended covering the exposed stitching with Shoe Goo so it doesn't get shredded in the skinnies. I did it and it's worked pretty well so far.
    -Sam

Attention Frugal Canyoneers / Climbers who live or visit So Cal......which is pretty much all of us so I should have said "Attenion All."

5.10 underground is a small shop at the corporate office in Redlands. It started out only selling blemished and used gear back in the 90s but now that it has caught on, they sell their entire catalog now. All items are at least 40% off. Occasionally they have prototype, demo climbing shoes, and Canyoneers that can run $25.

It is open on Thursdays (11-3pm), Fridays (1-6pm), and the first Saturday of every month (10-2pm) in Redlands and I heard the first Saturday of every month. All items are at least 40% off. They rarely answer the phone and do not ship anything. I recently picked up a new pair of Canyoneers for $85. There also great deals on hikers, approach shoes, and cool hip/trendy cycling shoes to go with your fixed-gear accessory known as a bicycle.

Love it, but I have to drive up to redlands....

thanks for the info. No, do not work for la sportiva or summit hut! I have used canyoneers, but they are not real comfortable on me. But it looks like the mid high xplorers are gore-tex. I dislike gore-tex, that water proof stuff works both ways! So it is low tops for me.

Still a big fan of the La Sportiva shoes, and, I don't work for them either.

I have Canyoneers, but, they kinda collect dust. Way too clunky for me, hate the buckles, and they don't hike well for me. Personal preference for sure.

My Exum Rivers are still in great shape. And, I'm on my last pair (of 7 pairs or more) of standard Exums. Like the fit, like how they hike, like their grippiness.

Oh, I should mention again, I don't work for La Sportiva. Ha ha.

I'd try the Explorers, and, will probably pick up a pair of the low tops. Cheers!

I'm a fan of the 5.10 Canyoneers. Agree, the buckles are not the best, and the rubber wears out fast. I use the ZAC neoprene socks with them, and love it! I also carry some nylon thin socks and some wool heavier socks in my dry bag. When I'm done with the canyon (hopefully I guessed right), I take the neoprene socks off and put on both pairs of dry socks. It makes the return hike very comfy...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    I'm a fan of the 5.10 Canyoneers. Agree, the buckles are not the best, and the rubber wears out fast. I use the ZAC neoprene socks with them, and love it! I also carry some nylon thin socks and some wool heavier socks in my dry bag. When I'm done with the canyon (hopefully I guessed right), I take the neoprene socks off and put on both pairs of dry socks. It makes the return hike very comfy...
    Funny...glad to hear it only takes four pairs of socks to make the shoes work for ya...ha ha...

11. Likes Mountaineer liked this post