Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So... I'm leading my first canyon today

Re: So... I'm leading my first canyon today

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    You guys are not solving discos problem.
    We solved discos problem two pages ago.... now we are measuring our daddy parts.... haha....

Sent using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post

I'm not an over the shoulder butterfly coiler. Just don't like havin' a dirty rope on my neck. I just hold it in my hand. Not too hard.
    A climbing class will teach you to use the butterfly/backpackers coil by doing it over your shoulders. Mainly cause ropes used by climbers used to be and in some cases still are so thick and bulky to do by hand. The skinny ropes used for canyons are easily done in one hand, especially a 30m. I can coil that way faster than bagging. Sometimes if we do not have or bring along a bag for 200' ropes we do 2 coils of 100' each. Than only use 1 side for short raps so we r not recoiling all 200' each time. Also I find when poss it is much easier to use 2-100' ropes instead of a 200'r. 1 person not carrying all the weight, much easier handling for short raps especially in canyons outside of Zion. And we almost always leapfrog so rather bring 2 or 3 short ropes and roll. But everyone needs to be able to access/build anchor, set ropes and then pull and coil. Practice butterflying by hand, it is sooo quick !

the boy doesn't need a rope bag you guys are missing the point!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

5. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Set up ascent rope to access canyon overlook trail for ez repeat - aren't there some anchors just above the cathedral?
    We can set a rope off the Great Arch, and people can just jug on up for a second lap.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Uhhh that sounds very dangerous.....

How about you just record the deployment, and "cleanup" of each rap? Then add the times together and post a vid. Someone else does the same thing and we compare notes? People rap at different speeds and once the rope is packed, travel time between obstacle is irrelevant IMO. Although I will fully admit when bushwhacking is involved, not snagging your rope because it's in a bag is a huge plus......

Plus I know at least 3 places in pine creek where people rap and our crew just jumps it....
    I heard rumor earlier this year of a guy doing pine creek earlier this year with no rope and hiking around the last 2 raps. That is a big jump into the cathedral

8. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We solved discos problem two pages ago.... now we are measuring our daddy parts.... haha....

Sent using Tapatalk
    Never judge a topic by its original post

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post

Re: So... I'm leading my first canyon today

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I heard rumor earlier this year of a guy doing pine creek earlier this year with no rope and hiking around the last 2 raps. That is a big jump into the cathedral
    I've seen it done about 20 years ago. But back than the cathedral was really deep and you could run down the water course and jump into the middle. At the final rappel you could walk around but you had to use a big long board to form a ledge to get past one 20' section. Last time I checked 10 years ago the board was gone and I don't know how you would get down without it.

Sent using Tapatalk