Thread: Looking for a Adventure touring jacket....Advice?

Looking for a Adventure touring jacket....Advice?

So....since I'm doing a lot more commuting on my moto to work and it's getting colder, I'm looking to get one of those adventure touring jackets. My current Joe Rocket mesh jacket has a nice liner but its a bit sportier and not really built for the longer commuting and colder temps.

Looks like there are lots of options. Hoping to spend less than $200 but I'm not very familiar with all of the brands (tourmaster, Olympia, FirstGear,etc..). Over on ADV there are tons of recommendations but wanted to see if anyone here has any advice or suggestions of what to look for.

Thanks.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have had a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket for 5-6 years. It has been all over and through every kind of condition. It vents well if things get warm, has a nice liner, will last in the rain for quite a while before soaking through. They are a bit over your price range, but reasonable and well worth the money IMO.

I have this one...few years old now.

Name:  Jacket_big.jpg
Views: 2987
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  339687_2817499246372_459884403_o.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  57.6 KB

Bike bandit keeps sending me e-mails with what looks like some deals that may interest you.
    I think I some at Motorsport as well.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

The Kilimanjaro is on my radar. I just hate to spend so much money on something I'm not that familiar with. The whole adv touring jacket idea is brand new to me. But layering under this sporty jacket of mine isn't going to work.

Seems like the following look good as well;
    Tourmaster Transition series 2
    First gear kilimanjaro
    Olympia ast
    Field sheer highland

Anything I'm missing? Something I should look out for? Must have features?
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

First gear or Klim / both have an outstanding rep. Klim kicks but, But not cheap from what I hear.
    For 270 smacks you can roll with last years Kilimanjaro. THey are running some ok sales right now.
    Think I saw that one on motosport.com.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

Prolly any of those will work. Mine has a gun pocket I think?

I would look for good venting options. Yeah you can't layer under those summer jackets. You'll be warm and comfortable in one of these. I'd just read the reviews and make a decision.

I've found some stellar deals on the FirstGear TPG Rainier. Looks like a steel at under $200. So either the Rainier or the Tourmaster Transition 3. But the transition 3 retails for $209 and I can get it for $188 or the Rainier that retails for $400 that I can get for $192. Decisions. I do like the Hi-viz option of the tourmaster though. Also one of my pet peeves is the collar flap flapping around. The Tourmaster secures it with a little velcro which I like.

The temps here can change rapidly especially in the winter. It' not uncommon to drive to work at 7 with 35-40 degree temps and then come home at 5 with 75 degree temps. And 75 in the sun on a bike can feel pretty hot. Also I'm looking at trading in the DR650 for a Vstrom 650, especially if I'm going to keep riding it to work so much on the freeway. The DR is not highway friendly. So a higher average speed can be expected that what I'm used to.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

My jackets got a velcro collar too and it's nice.

The vstrom would be a nice upgrade!

Oh my hell
    I hope that this is not the new four stroke you've been talking about and teasing us with.

SOOOOO what did you end up with a 4-t or a good jacket?

Still trying to decide on the jacket. The weather has been so nice that it hasn't been a priority. Basically have narrowed it down to the jaunt t2, transition 3, or kilimanjaro. But only if the Kilimanjaro stays below $200.

The vstrom moto will likely be an addition next spring or summer. I've been looking at a more street oriented adv type moto for some time now.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Too bad you don't have the vstrom now. I'm headed down Thursday night hopefully. Looking at this loop Friday/Saturday.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=South+Jordan,+UT&daddr=Cedar+City,+UT+to:Overton,+Moapa+Valley,+NV+to:Kingman,+AZ+to:35.77419,-112.12952+to:35.84131,-112.1322+to:Navajo+Bridge,+Coconino,+AZ+to:Page,+AZ+to:38.47136,-112.23646+to:South+Jordan,+UT&hl=en&ll=37.544577,-113.049316&spn=10.532769,23.269043&sll=36.544398,-114.314804&sspn=0.333746,0.727158&geocode=FfrtagIdxhZU-SmTyauNiYVShzFVs8nejwBm9Q%3BFaXpPgId-89C-SnRwl7gf2G1gDHp0XOA4soU7w%3BFVCaLQId4bAt-Smhrcdx8W3JgDHhAWyBPCd9bg%3BFcPyGAIdcrAz-Sk1YJMAE9zNgDFgpQT_vM-spg%3BFe7eIQIdEApR-Sl530brF-QyhzFiUsXDdj_k3A%3BFR7lIgIdmP9Q-SkHbIGw0uMyhzGo4RxYrLEzsg%3BFSPJMQIdh6JY-SHGDPXiV2IIUCkbbqbLuW80hzHGDPXiV2IIUA%3BFSJGMwIdp1Fb-SmPdc39WxM0hzE5TjhTUS-Ybg%3BFcAGSwIdVGhP-SlJ7uz_-B9LhzGdyxpbUZ4gRg%3BFfrtagIdxhZU-SmTyauNiYVShzFVs8nejwBm9Q&oq=overton&t=h&mra=ls&via=4,5,8&z=6