Thread: Prehistoric man ate pandas

Prehistoric man ate pandas

China's beloved national symbol - the panda - may have been seen quite differently by ancient humans: as food.

A Chinese scientist said that humans used to eat pandas. In a newspaper interview, Wei Guangbiao said prehistoric man ate the bears in what is now part of the city of Chongqing in southwest China [Credit: Xinhua]
    Scientist Wei Guangbiao says prehistoric man ate pandas in an area that is now part of the city of Chongqing in southwest China.

Wei, head of the Institute of Three Gorges Paleoanthropology at a Chongqing museum, says many excavated panda fossils "showed that pandas were once slashed to death by man."

The Chongqing Morning Post quoted him Friday as saying: "In primitive times, people wouldn't kill animals that were useless to them" and therefore the pandas must have been used as food.

But he says pandas were much smaller then.

Wei says wild pandas lived in Chongqing's high mountains 10,000 to 1 million years ago.

The Chinese government invests greatly in studying the native species and trying to ensure its survival. Pandas number about 1,600 in the wild, where they are critically endangered due to poaching and development. More than 300 live in captivity, mostly in China's breeding programs.

Source: People's Daily Online [October 16, 2012]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Wei says wild pandas lived in Chongqing's high mountains 10,000 to 1 million years ago.
    Give or take 100 years....
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I don't get how they can say this.. the earth is only 6000 years old
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

EVERYTHING that crawled, slithered or trod was food back then. More recently, I read that the Anasazi ate mice...bones, fur, guts and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Give or take 100 years....

Just like how the CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere have increased by 2,000ppm in the last 50 years....give or take 200,000ppm. As a human race we've come a long way, but I believe we think we've come a lot farther then we have.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

7. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    EVERYTHING that crawled, slithered or trod was food back then. More recently, I read that the Anasazi ate mice...bones, fur, guts and all.

So the Anasazi were owls then? Anasazi disappearance solved: they just flew away.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    So the Anasazi were owls then? Anasazi disappearance solved: they just flew away.
    LOL, that's funny! Seriously, It was a scientific, very well put together book studying the ruins in Montezuma Valley, mostly. I believe this was the book that "confirmed" the cannibalism that got the Hopi all upset. They figured it out by studying human dookie, and it was full of mice fur and bones. Mice Mcnuggets.

probably tasted like chicken.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

Just like how the CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere have increased by 2,000ppm in the last 50 years....give or take 200,000ppm.
    not even close. probably should choose an example better than one we've actually measured pretty precisely.
    mauna loa measurements have increased from about 315 ppm in 1960 to 395 ppm in 2012.
    this year the arctic has been measuring the highest levels ever in recorded history at over 400 ppm.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/history.html

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    not even close. probably should choose an example better than one we've actually measured pretty precisely.
    mauna loa measurements have increased from about 315 ppm in 1960 to 395 ppm in 2012.
    this year the arctic has been measuring the highest levels ever in recorded history at over 400 ppm.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/history.html

^^^^ This $hit belongs in the environmental thread. I'm not sure what this has to do with the eating habits of prehistoric man. Please post on topic.