Thread: Little Blue John/Main Fork Loop

Little Blue John/Main Fork Loop

I know a bunch of you are heading out to the Roost next weekend. I join a few friends for 3 days in the Roost last weekend. We made camp near Hans Flat RS in a site that has a view of French Spring Fork of Happy Canyon. Our first canyon was the LBJ/Main Fork loop. We found it dry and in good shape. The down climbs in LBJ were fun and the crux climb up the Main added some challenge for sure. But we all made it just fine and had a great day.

Here's some photos:

It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. Likes blueeyes, outsider liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sweet!

T

Nice!

Those pics are great, I like the deep reds.

The LBJ/Main Fork Exit loop is awesome, one of my favorite half-day jaunts anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Nice!
    The LBJ/Main Fork Exit loop is awesome, one of my favorite half-day jaunts anywhere.
    Yes, we didn't arrive at Hans Flat until near midnight. We knew our friends were camped somewhere near but couldn't find them. So it was a bit of a late start by the time we got assembled and to the TH the next morning. Then, the call of beer and an awesome dinner of a dish we call "Blue John Chicken" led us to want to finish up early and get back to camp. Nothing beats sitting around camp after a day in the canyon with a cold brew, good food and good friends. That's my version of a 4-star vacation!

We camped just before HFRS at a spot that obviously gets some use (no trash but the ash pit is growing). From there you can walk downhill to the edge of the French Spring Fork to an overlook to an amazing pour-off. It's almost spherical, curving both horizontally and vertically. The echo there is very cool; the primary echo isn't that loud but the second echo gets focused by the wall underneath your feet and comes back much louder than the first!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Very nice.
    Chere'

So whats the story w/ the snake??? Dreading the day I run into one of those down there...

Very nice pics by the way!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahT View Post
    So whats the story w/ the snake??? Dreading the day I run into one of those down there...

Very nice pics by the way!
    Snakes in canyons are almost always very cold, and thus very docile.

Still, don't let the guys pick them up.

Tom

Little Blue John/Main Fork Loop

Great report!

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Great shots! Great Basin rattlesnake? Looks big...

Thanks!

All three rattlers were very small and looking to escape from us. I got in close to take that shot. Twice I could not get the camera on it before it disappeared under a rock. This time the rock provided less shelter and I got a shot. I guess there could be some danger if you stepped on it (especially if not wearing shoes!). But otherwise it's not something to fret about.