Thread: High Spur

High Spur

On the second day of our 3 day trip to the Roost the whole group (Don and his son, Cody, Erik, Anya, Bradley and I) explored High Spur. We took a high clearance 2WD Suburban and a 4WD 4-door pick-up. There was no substantial problem reaching the Deadman's Trail junction in the 2WD Suburban. But, a vehicle with less clearance might not be able to clear some obstacles.

Don and his son did not do any technical climbing. They turned around at the 12-foot down climb which drops from a pour off into a slopping rock and then a pool. There was quite a bit of water in High Spur. One section had everyone swimming. There were several long chest-deep wading sections as well. But no one wore wet suits and with the temp in the high 60s/low 70s we were able to warm up reasonably fast after the last rap. There was a little shivering going on while waiting to do that rap though!

What a fantastic canyon! Here's some photos:

Last edited by ststephen; 10-14-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Bad links?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. Likes Kuya, Udink, outsider, blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fantastic! I've been to the root a few times, but haven't done this classic yet. Looking forward to it soon. Check your 'flickr' pics, looks like most are not available.

Thanks for sharing, and glad you survived the cold in those temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    ...root ...
    My typo reminded me of an old Commodore 64 game when I was a little kid, "Below the root". Loved that game.

Grrr...thanks I'll have to figure out what's wrong with those images. No wonder no one liked them!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

7. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Nice TR! Great photos! 'Canyoneer with a Tripod' is fantastic!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Gorgeous pictures.
    Chere'

Re: High Spur

Sweet pics

Sent using Tapatalk

Beautiful! I need to get myself down into the Roost! Awesome Pictures!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Loved your TR! This canyon is on my short list.

We did High Spur last Thursday 10/11/12. Great day in the canyon, but you took much better pics. Water levels were down a bit from your TR, only chin deep at the deepest section in the lower part of the Swirl. We did get a rope stuck (for a while) on the last rap, so anyone doing it needs to make sure to extend ring over lip or make other adjustments.

Couple of more things:

I found a Sandtrap in one of the nearby canyons. If you lost it, send reply in this thread and will arrange to get it back to you.

Also, we had a difficult time with the beta on West Fork of Big Spring. Anybody else have any issues there in finding rap 1 or navigating further down?
    Londog

Quote Originally Posted by londog View Post
    Also, we had a difficult time with the beta on West Fork of Big Spring. Anybody else have any issues there in finding rap 1 or navigating further down?
    I did this last year and helped put together a beta for it. Which beta did you use? You can just go straight down canyon, but if you do it this way there is a sketchy pothole/silo to navigate and not much material for the subsequent rap.

Here's a map showing where E and I hiked up and out of the canyon, and back to the road. It was steep, but not climb-y, and not exposed. Once up on the mostly-flat desert we turned from a north-west heading to a north-east heading and passed the head of that side canyon. There's a cliff to the south there, but there's a seldom-used trail and it's wide enough I didn't worry about it.

[EDIT: Why won't this map default to the sat-view? Anyway, change to sat-view or terrain and it'll make more sense.]

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204821587750412566862.0004cc1bf60a89bb4fb7f&msa=0&ll=38.41799,-110.16768&spn=0.027336,0.038581

We used Climb-Utah beta. We found the head of the canyon without any problem, but never came to rap 1 at the indicated coordinates. We then (than) continued down through a couple of muddy semi-keepers and came to a 20' drop with a bomb bay into a larger pool with slim to none (for us anyway) anchor opportunities. Since things weren't ringing true at this point, we decided to terminate (first time ever for me!). We ascended up and out without any big problems.
    Londog

Nice report. Great colors in the photos...stunning!

Thanks everyone. We noticed the potential for stuck ropes on that last drop too. We put some debris into a crack that looked hungry for rope, but I don't think it was very effective. I rapped last. Mainly we kept the pull side as far to the right LDC as possible and we were able to keep a nice smooth pull going up past the nasty rope hungry grooves. Fun rap though to end a great day. Don and Everest had repositioned our car a little closer down Dead Man's for us (Thanks Don!) but the walk wouldn't have been all that bad.