Thread: Roost this weekend- weather? Mud?

Roost this weekend- weather? Mud?

Looking at making a trip out to the Roost this weekend. High Spur and NW Big Spg are on the list, with some others as possible backups. Intermediate canyoneers with experience.

My question is this....70% chance of precip on Friday in Green Liver, 20% chance on Saturday. Any guesses how much more water or mud this may add? Understood that there is currently water already [High Spur] and possibly some intense mud [re: Chambers?], but just asking those that know the area and it's weather more than I what you guys think/feel. Trying to decide if we need a good backup plan. Anyone else going to be in that area this weekend? Thanks for any opinions!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    Looking at making a trip out to the Roost this weekend. High Spur and NW Big Spg are on the list, with some others as possible backups. Intermediate canyoneers with experience.

My question is this....70% chance of precip on Friday in Green Liver, 20% chance on Saturday. Any guesses how much more water or mud this may add? Understood that there is currently water already [High Spur] and possibly some intense mud [re: Chambers?], but just asking those that know the area and it's weather more than I what you guys think/feel. Trying to decide if we need a good backup plan. Anyone else going to be in that area this weekend? Thanks for any opinions!
    You could also be worried about the roads.

Sounds like North Wash to me!

Tom

If it rains on top of High Spur (which has a very small catch basin) I would expect several long swims. High Spur drains out pretty fast, but when it is hold water it holds a lot.

From what I've heard, the roads out to robbers roost are really nasty when it rains to the point of being impassable. Not sure about the conditions in the canyons.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dude9478 View Post
    From what I've heard, the roads out to robbers roost are really nasty when it rains to the point of being impassable. Not sure about the conditions in the canyons.
    When wet, they are the kind of goopy mud that 4WD helps only a little on.

But they do dry out fairly quick.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    When wet, they are the kind of goopy mud that 4WD helps only a little on.

But they do dry out fairly quick.

Tom
    Good to know. We were going to head out there this weekend, but will probably hit North wash instead if the road is nasty. Thanks,

Kevin

Elevations in the Roost areaare almost 2000 ft higher than Green River or Hanksville.Increases the chances of rain. Grand Junction weather service predicts 70% chance tonight and 80% chance Friday in that area. I'd vote for North Wash. You hardly have to go off pavement there and wet roads into the Roost can be almost like driving on ice. Conditions in the main Irish canyons reported on Candition.com were close to dry going into this week.

NOAA is predicting around 3/4 of an inch of rain for the Hanksville area starting this evening and then tapering off Saturday morning around sunrise.

The roads into The Roost(esp. the one heading straight north to Green River) cross a few washes and can get washed out pretty bad after heavy rains.

If you go into The Roost after a storm, a couple of sturdy shovels can go a looong way.

And remember, it's always easier to hop outta the car and level out the road than it is to dig your car out of a wash.

I'll be down in North Wash this weekend, maybe I'll see ya there.

Be Safe!

-Sam

We were in High Spur last weekend. There was a lot of water in there. We didn't use wet suits but I was glad to have something warm to switch in to while waiting my turn on the final rap. The roads were in good shape, but of course it doesn't take much to change that.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

For what it's worth: I watched the storm roll over the whole area this week hour by hour using the Wunderground weather site (freakin awesome) There were two smaller cells that moved across the North Wash and the Horseshoe Canyon area in the Roost, but for the most part the rain split around the entire area to the west and to the east. It was cool to see the Roost and North Wash seemingly escape the majority of the rain. You can examine the Doppler history on Wunderground and zoom in so close that you can see the rain over individual canyons. It allows you to view past history and just about anything else you could want to look at weather wise. Looking forward to some trip reports in the Roost if you go this weekend as we'll be out there next weekend. Otherwise, I agree with Tom, North Wash looks best.

Yeah my crew couldnt get their shit together so we didnt make it. Hoping for next weekend!

Just came back from the San Rafael Swell and I've never seen it so wet. It stormed and rained and hailed a lot thursday night into friday morning and here was mud everywhere. Some of the washes we were in (I was riding ATVs over the 2 days) were flowing and I've never seen that before. So I bet the Roost got hammered too since it seemed to be a huge cell. Roads were gooey in lots of places and as a matter of fact 2 of our ATVs pulled a Jeep out of a mud hole where he'd still be there if we hadn't happened along. I did Cable and the Squeeze 2 weeks ago and we were complaining about low water levels but I'll bet it's topped off now. Should provide a totally different experience.