Thread: Jump Canyon and review 10/07/12

Jump Canyon and review 10/07/12

So this is my very first "US Mainland" canyon. Water was definitely colder. I'd say around 40-something deg? Air temp early morning shrunk my junk.. but mid day it got up to 85ish.

This canyon is definitely different and extremely fun. Granite is slippery, but no where near as slippery as the algae covered rocks on Maui. None-the-less, there were tons of slides in the entire canyon. I'd say the water was at a decent level. It is a "medium" level for my tastes.

I loved the huge granite and polished boulders. This canyon was the last thing we had planned for our vacation. I give thanks to "Mojave Silence", who is a good friend of mine, and an awesome guide for taking me and my g/f there. And to Keith.. who i don't know his Bogley user name.. for helping out as well.

One rant i have is that there were bolts that were cut on a very slippery dangerous section. Apparently people cut the bolts and made sure that its a "jump". However, that jump didn't look so safe, considering there was a boulder sitting on the bottom of the pool, that you can't see from the top. A bad landing on that would not be fun. getting a good stance and position for the jump would be difficult because of the slippery rocks. I know there's the whole history of bolt wars.. but if people feel that someone getting hurt or dying is less important than bolts, that are very safe, and well placed, but "look bad"... kind of fires me up a bit.

Pics coming soon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A little back story on the chopped bolts Renatomic is refering too. A year ago we were behind a large group in that canyon, and watched from the rap above as a girl in that group slipped and took an uncontrolled fall, about 20', into a pothole. That pothole has a large boulder right in the middle of it, there is no sane way to do a jump there. There simply is not enough room in the pothole to jump and avoid the rock, so we put 2 bolts in there to remedy the situation. In this section of canyon there are no other options for getting around the pothole, you either rap it or jump it. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and state it's possible that the rock in that pothole is new, but chopping the bolts was a douch move. The bolts that are currently in that canyon are all ancient, mostly rusted, and in horrible condition. To the bolt chopper: spend your energy replacing the many marginal bolts that already exist in this canyon, that would be a better service to the community.

4. Likes Renatomic808 liked this post
    Here's some picsName:  P1030014.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  90.1 KBName:  P1030019.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  74.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images