Thread: Rope retrieval

Rope retrieval

I have been looking over the web and this forum for techniques on rope retrieval (I didnt search too hard on the forum because there are 4100 threads). Example: You're on a hundred fifty foot rappel and you only have two hundred feet you can't double rope it what do you do?

I found this guys video, I am wondering if there is any merit to it and if anyone has actually used this technique before?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPnd5...ure=plpp_video

Any input would be great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The video is over 10 min. long, so i didn't watch it. a rope retrieval technique that takes that long to demo on video is either a) too complicated to be practical, b) bogus, or c) just beyond my attention span. YMMV

I got a kick out of the laid rope, though.

Yes, I shut the clip off once I saw the rope on the video...

You need a 300' rope. Or, at least another 50' of rope, or last choice webbing or other material to help pull with. Rappel single strand on the correct side using a block. I strongly suggest getting some training or going with an experienced person a few times to minimize your risk. A lot could go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    ...least another 50' of rope.
    100' more...if I read your example correctly...

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KanyonKasey View Post
    I have been looking over the web and this forum for techniques on rope retrieval (I didnt search too hard on the forum because there are 4100 threads). Example: You're on a hundred fifty foot rappel and you only have two hundred feet you can't double rope it what do you do?

I found this guys video, I am wondering if there is any merit to it and if anyone has actually used this technique before?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPnd5...ure=plpp_video

Any input would be great.
    In a word, "no".

If you're asking what I think you're asking, then the answer is: "you go get more rope"...

There is a reasonable explanation of canyoneering single rope technique here:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/techt...ll-that-stuff/

Tom

-Tom
    That link was exactly was I was asking for. As for more rope or training... I'm currently unemployed so those arent options yet but they will be. I am trying to build a knowledge base first. I was skeptical of the video myself so thanks for the input on everything guys. If there is anything else please let me know.

Rope retrieval

If there is anything else please let me know.
    I would suggest you work your way through the rest of Tom's Tech Tips. There is a lot of good information you can absorb with a piece of rope and a biner. Have fun!

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

As for more rope or training... I'm currently unemployed so those arent options yet but they will be.
    Training is easy to come by, find someone more experienced then you, and go learn from them. It doesn't have to be an ABCD or what ever other Insert acronym course here. This is a Dangerous activity! and not to be taken lightly. Check out "Meetup".com. There are some canyoneering groups there just beware of the choss, not everyone who claims to be experienced is.... A brain is the number one best tool for canyoneering.