Thread: Zions In The Rain

Zions In The Rain

Anyone got any great ideas or canyons that can be done if it does rain Friday?

We are planning on doing two canyons this weekend, one Friday & one Saturday but the weather doesn't seem to want to cooperate with our plans. I'm just looking for a back up option for Friday if any of you have any suggestions if it does rain.

What are your favorite short canyons that we could do Friday afternoon if it were to rain in the morning?

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd just go inside and get under the roof. Don't they have free hot chocolate there?

... If you were going to Zion to do canyons, much more fun than banks in my opinion, you could probably run echo or keyhole. A lot of the time it tends to rain in the afternoon so getting a quick on in the morning works okay. ymmv
    - Gavin

4. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Technical canyons + Rain = Trouble

Personally, if it is already raining when you get there, I'd suggest doing a non-technical canyon and watching the rain spill off the cliffs. Kolob Fingers are good for this. Around Emerald Pools too.

If the weather is clear, as mentioned, do something short like Echo, or Keyhole. Maybe Pine if you hurry and the sky looks OK. You wouldn't want to be in any of them during rain though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Generally speaking the rain comes in the afternoon and with an early start are good in most canyons. Just use good judgement

Thanks for the input. Hopefully the rain will hold until the afternoon or not come at all.

We're wanting to head down there for Friday and I just looked at the forecast. Looks like it's supposed to be raining all day, including the morning. Crapper. :(
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    We're wanting to head down there for Friday and I just looked at the forecast. Looks like it's supposed to be raining all day, including the morning. Crapper. :(
    Yeah that's what I've been seeing all week. Hopefully it passes or we may only get one good say in the canyon.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    This is a good canyon to not-do in the rain:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...first-descent/

Since you are never actually IN a canyon, you are never actually at risk...

T

Please change the title of this thread from "ZIONS IN THE RAIN" to "ZION IN THE RAIN".

That is all, thank you.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    In the bank, there is not rain. Perhaps you are thinking, "this makes no sense". I am sure he meant, being IN the bank is a good place to be when it is raining OUTSIDE the bank. When they kick you out at 5 pm, wander over to Oscars and have a Murder Burger. Then the rain will not matter.

T

Zions In The Rain

I loves this threads, it's makings me's laughs. I'ms drivings downs this weekends fors a runs throughs imlays.

Threat of rain=No Canyon for me. Just not worth the risk, IMNSHO. I would much rather just drink a bunch of beer around a campfire.