Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heaps Canyon Rescue?

Heaps is one on the list for anyone serious about the sport. I've gone through a number of canyons, mostly easier ones I'm sure, done a few pothole escapes, etc... But the thought of Heaps makes me nervous for sure.
    To my question, what are some canyons that would test my abilities and skills that would give me an idea that I could consider doing Heaps and not end up in the news like these clowns?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was it the rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Actually, do we know that (that they started the same day)? They picked up their permit at 9:30 am - was it for the same day, or the next day? This was implied in one news report, but I'm not sure that was based on more information than we have - I think that is lost in the murk of the reportage/facts interface.

Tom
    I guess we don't know for sure, but the news report quoted by Shane above did say that they entered the canyon Saturday morning, and were warned by the backcountry desk that they were getting a late start.

Nat

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Here is the ZNP press release:

Quote Originally Posted by Zion National Park
    Date: October 10, 2012
    On Tuesday, October 9, Zion National Park Rangers rescued canyoneers overdue from a hike that began Saturday, October 6. The two visitors, a 41 year old man and a 26 year old female, were attempting Heaps Canyon, one of Zion National Park's more difficult canyoneering routes. Heaps Canyon is eleven miles long and involves a 300 foot free hanging rappel, swimming through cold water, and numerous other obstacles, including slick rock potholes which can be difficult to traverse.

At approximately 9 a.m. on Saturday, the pair picked up their wilderness permit and said they estimated completing it in a day. The park ranger notified them that most people start pre-dawn in order to make Heaps Canyon a day trip. The pair said they were prepared to spend the night if necessary. While the two were never reported overdue, rangers did note that their vehicle was still parked at a trailhead on the morning of the Monday, October 8.

A helicopter from Grand Canyon was called in for the search. The helicopter crew was able to locate the canyoneers in the lower reaches of Heaps Canyon late in the afternoon of the October 8. After three days of travelling, the two had only completed about two thirds of the canyon. Some of the canyon's most difficult obstacles still lay ahead. The crew was able to get a radio to the pair who stated that they were not able to complete the canyon without assistance. On the morning of the Tuesday, October 9, a ranger and firefighter were inserted to a bench above the two canyoneers. They cleared a helispot which enabled the helicopter to land with additional rescuers. The six member rescue team lowered a ranger from the bench 125 feet down to the stranded pair and then hauled all three people back to the bench. The two canyoneers did not require medical assistance.

The successful conclusion to the search was in part because the hikers had obtained a backcountry hiking permit which included information useful to the searchers. However, wilderness hikers should always inform someone of their plans along with an expected completion time. Had rangers not noticed the canyoneers' vehicle at the trailhead, it is unclear when or if the two would have been reported overdue. The group also had far less experience than most Heap's Canyon travelers. While canyon hiking (canyoneering) in Zion can be a challenging and rewarding activity, it is not one that should be entered into lightly.

Many of the reports are based ENTIRELY on this press release. Perhaps one of the reporters called Ms. Baltrus for clarification on a few points, but... without the context of knowing what "Heaps" is, I'm not sure that would be helpful. But then again, this is conjecture about what was or was not conjectured by the person who wrote the news report. Nat - you're the mathematician - (Conjecture) X (Conjecture) = ????

T

NPS Morning Report 10-16-2012
    Zion National Park (UT)
    Two Canyoneers Rescued From Heaps Canyon

On Saturday, October 6th, a 41-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman began a trip through Heaps Canyon, one of the park’s more difficult canyoneering routes due to its length, cold water, a 300-foot free hanging rappel, and numerous obstacles, including slick rock potholes. Because of its length and difficulty, those who wish to complete Heap’s Canyon as a day trip typically get a pre-dawn start. However, when this pair received their required wilderness permit around 9 am on Saturday, they said that their intention was to complete the canyon in one day. When park staff informed them they would not be able to complete the trip before dark, they said that they were prepared to spend the night. While the two were never reported overdue, rangers did note that their vehicle was still parked at a trailhead on the morning of Monday, October 8th. The Grand Canyon NP helicopter was requested in order to conduct a search. The helicopter crew found the canyoneers in the lower reaches of Heaps Canyon late that afternoon. After three days of travelling, the two had only completed about two-thirds of the canyon and had not gotten past some of its most difficult obstacles. The crew inserted a radio to the pair, who said that they couldn’t complete the canyon without assistance. The woman reportedly sprained her ankle and was also having difficulty with the cold. On the morning of October 9th, a ranger and firefighter were inserted on a bench above the two canyoneers. They cleared a helispot, which made it possible for the helicopter to land with additional rescuers. The six-member rescue team lowered a medic from the bench 125 feet down to the stranded pair and then hauled all three people back to the bench. The two canyoneers did not require medical assistance. The experience and competence of the Grand Canyon pilot, manager, and ranger/medic were instrumental in ensuring the successful completion of this complex operation. Had rangers not noticed the canyoneers’ vehicle at the trailhead, it is unclear when or if the two would have been reported overdue. Wilderness hikers should always inform someone of their plans along with an expected exit time. The pair also had far less experience than most Heaps Canyon travelers. The man, the more experienced of the two, had previously rappelled through several of Zion’s easy to moderate canyoneering routes and had some top rope and gym climbing experience.
    [Submitted by Ray O’Neil, Plateau District Ranger]

And my favorite part....

The pair also had far less experience than most Heaps Canyon travelers. The man, the more experienced of the two, had previously rappelled through several of Zion’s easy to moderate canyoneering routes and had some top rope and gym climbing experience.
    I would sure like to know their reasoning behind choosing Heaps and a mid-morning start.

"I finished Subway and Keyhole, I've completed every 5.7 climb at the gym , I want something a little more challenging .... how about Heaps with a 26 year old blond?"

At least they knew enough to leave the lap dog at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Is it possible they were planning on spending a week in Heaps and ZNP rescue messed it up for them?

"But wifey nothing happened, we were *stuck* in Heaps!"
    just out of curiosity, I know about a chiuauha in HEAPS (Dave and Sonia),about doing in a day (Bo and Shaun) any information of full intercourse sex in the canyon?
    probably that was the intention in first place....and use the unpreparred excuse to have more days to enjoied

at least from the veterans??

Come on you do not need to disclose names

This thread was bumped for this? Seriously, doesn't this questions deserve its own thread? And then again, who would believe any claims without the appropriate GoPro documentation?

To quote Bill Clinton: "I did not have sex with that woman!"

Ken

11. Likes hesse15 liked this post
    come on did you ever heard of :Boring friday at work?

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    This thread was bumped for this? Seriously, doesn't this questions deserve its own thread? And then again, who would believe any claims without the appropriate GoPro documentation?

To quote Bill Clinton: "I did not have sex with that woman!"

Ken