Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heaps Canyon Rescue?

Heaps Canyon Rescue?

Helicopters up and down the main canyon today, rumored to be extracting a party that was due out on the 7th. Anyone got info?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My understanding. Greatly underestimated challenge and time required. Taken out yesterday.

4. Likes tanya liked this post

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Welcome to Zion?

ZION NATIONAL PARK – On Tuesday, Oct. 9, Zion National Park Rangers rescued canyoneers overdue from a hike that began Saturday, Oct. 6. The two visitors, a 41 year old man and a 26 year old female, were attempting Heaps Canyon, one of Zion National Park’s more difficult canyoneering routes.
    Heaps Canyon is eleven miles long and involves a 300-foot free hanging rappel, swimming through cold water, and numerous other obstacles, including slick rock potholes which can be difficult to traverse.
    At approximately 9 a.m. on Saturday, the pair picked up their wilderness permit and said they estimated completing it in a day. The park ranger notified them that most people start pre-dawn in order to make Heaps Canyon a day trip. The pair said they were prepared to spend the night if necessary. While the two were never reported overdue, rangers did note that their vehicle was still parked at a trailhead on the morning of the Monday, Oct. 8.
    A helicopter from Grand Canyon was called in for the search. The helicopter crew was able to locate the canyoneers in the lower reaches of Heaps Canyon late in the afternoon of the Oct. 8.
    After three days of travelling, the two had only completed about two thirds of the canyon. Some of the canyon’s most difficult obstacles still lay ahead. The crew was able to get a radio to the pair who stated that they were not able to complete the canyon without assistance.
    On the morning of the Tuesday, Oct. 9, a ranger and firefighter were inserted to a bench above the two canyoneers. They cleared a helispot which enabled the helicopter to land with additional rescuers. The six member rescue team lowered a ranger from the bench 125 feet down to the stranded pair and then hauled all three people back to the bench. The two canyoneers did not require medical assistance.
    The successful conclusion to the search was in part because the hikers had obtained a backcountry hiking permit which included information useful to the searchers. However, wilderness hikers should always inform someone of their plans along with an expected completion time.
    Had rangers not noticed the canyoneers’ vehicle at the trailhead, it is unclear when or if the two would have been reported overdue. The group also had far less experience than most Heap’s Canyon travelers. While canyon hiking (canyoneering) in Zion can be a challenging and rewarding activity, it is not one that should be entered into lightly.
    Email: news@stgnews.com

Got to love Bogley. I know there is more to this story.

Ken

In way over their heads.......three days and only 2/3'ds of the canyon completed. Yikes!
    Life is Good

11. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Perhaps it was on their bucket list. I'm guessing they took a class on Friday and felt prepared- after all they would have learned how to rappel and how to set up an autoblock. What else do you have to know before attempting Heaps?
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

13. Likes Deathcricket, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    At approximately 9 a.m. on Saturday, the pair picked up their wilderness permit and said they estimated completing it in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    On the morning of the Tuesday, Oct. 9, a ranger and firefighter were inserted to a bench above the two canyoneers.
    Perhaps the pair started a fire to draw attention to their predicament???

Which is actually pretty clever. If they carried The Book, they would have known they could have escaped out Isaac Canyon.

T

She didn't have a little dog with her, by chance?

Ha ha...

17. Likes Don, tcott, Sombeech, ratagonia liked this post

Heaps Canyon Rescue?

Was there a dead chihuahua in a dry bag? Pffff haha!

19. Likes Deathcricket liked this post

Re: Heaps Canyon Rescue?

So how does a man who is 41 get a woman who is 26 to have a sleep over?

A friend wanted to know.....

Sent using Tapatalk

21. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Seduce her with an appearance on one of those "purt near kilt" TV shows

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    Perhaps it was on their bucket list. I'm guessing they took a class on Friday and felt prepared- after all they would have learned how to rappel and how to set up an autoblock. What else do you have to know before attempting Heaps?
    Damn you for stealing my joke!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

A friend wanted to know.....

Sent using Tapatalk
    Experienced talker and actor. Reality bites though doesn't it?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    "Hey, want to go to Zion and do a canyon? I hear Heaps is classic. Oh, yeah, we should be able to do it in a day, no problem..."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    "Hey, want to go to Zion and do a canyon? I hear Heaps is classic. Oh, yeah, we should be able to do it in a day, no problem..."
    "You know how to rappel, right?"

When we did Heaps over the summer, we ran into a group at the last rappel and chatted with them for a bit. They told us about their prep for Heaps and the canyons they had done to get ready and then they asked us about our experience levels. 4 of us had quite a few canyons under our belts but the other two were pretty new to canyoneering (but were experienced climbers). One of them responded - "Shenanigans". The other group just stared and then turned and asked my last buddy - "and you?" His response? "Hey - Austin...what was that canyon we did over your birthday called? Yankee Doodle or something?" Dead silence. I wish I had it on video.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

28. Likes tcott, Stray, mtthwlw, ratagonia liked this post