Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Webbing in Large Amounts

Carrying Webbing in Large Amounts

I was just curious as to how the rest of you carry 50-100 or more feet of webbing whether its rolled around something (Spooled), Folded, or made in to a long daisy chain or if you just stuff it into a small bag and hope you only need 10 feet at any given time so it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Daisy Chain for me.

I keep mine stuffed in a dry sack only because I'm not sure of what else to do and I don't want the extra weight when it is wet.

What is a daisy chain?

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I keep it in a couple 10, a couple 20, and a couple 30 ft sections all daisy-chained up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701 View Post
    +1 for Daisy Chain (aka Chain Sinnet).

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/index.php
    Got it. Great link - thanks!

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

x2
    Daisy at the bottom of the pack. Depending on the canyon, it may be in the dry bag. How about lengths, what do people usually take? On average, I take 50 feet, although sometimes a little less, or a lot more depending on the trip.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I roll about 30 feet into a disk, maybe with a rubber band, and then into a tight-fitting ziploc and then in the water-tank pocket of my pack.

Ooops, did I say MY pack - in someone else's pack usually.

Might bring more than one, depends on the canyon. Often in the drybag to prevent heavy weightage.

T

10. Likes The Good Cop liked this post
    Daisy chain + drybag. I usually daisy it single strand so I only have to uncoil what I need at the time and never have to re-chain it.

From palm around elbow and back to palm, old school style. Yeah, I know...but there is a way to tie it off, and then pull the end of the line later to have it fall at your feet, without the salad effect. About 20 years ago this really sharp kid showed me how to do it. He worked on a big farm...those guys know lots of tricks.

Typically we take a 50'(ish) length, coiled like a rope, kept handy for short raps and hand lines and it gets used often for this purpose until its needed for anchoring/ replacing existing webbing on anchors. On the subject of webbing, I recently bought a length from rec outlet in the only color they had left: a nice dark green. Acceptable for anchors? Personally, I think it's more natural looking than black or grey.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Typically we take a 50'(ish) length, coiled like a rope, kept handy for short raps and hand lines and it gets used often for this purpose until its needed for anchoring/ replacing existing webbing on anchors. On the subject of webbing, I recently bought a length from rec outlet in the only color they had left: a nice dark green. Acceptable for anchors? Personally, I think it's more natural looking than black or grey.
    Seems like a good color for me, except in the Grand Canyon.

T

I stuff it into my wetsuit. Start with the tail, and shove it down my chest, as if i'm putting it in a rope bag. Then i leave a short tail hanging out, so in case i need any, I just pull, and cut. It also adds warmth. So far quickest and convenient way for me. I've gotten away with 50ft.. i save about 5 min per anchor, instead of opening the bags.. bundling, and unbundling.. etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Renatomic808 View Post
    I stuff it into my wetsuit. Start with the tail, and shove it down my chest, as if i'm putting it in a rope bag. Then i leave a short tail hanging out, so in case i need any, I just pull, and cut. It also adds warmth. So far quickest and convenient way for me. I've gotten away with 50ft.. i save about 5 min per anchor, instead of opening the bags.. bundling, and unbundling.. etc..
    Great idea to save time just curious if it ever becomes uncomfortable when you cram 50' of webbing in there?

Not uncomfortable at all. I barely notice its there to be honest. I will say sometimes it does get quite warm though, when i'm not swimming through the watercourse after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Renatomic808 View Post
    I stuff it into my wetsuit. Start with the tail, and shove it down my chest, as if i'm putting it in a rope bag. Then i leave a short tail hanging out, so in case i need any, I just pull, and cut.
    For REAL?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

19. Likes burley liked this post
    Always daisy chained.
    I will keep maybe 20ft handy, the rest 30-50ft in a dry bag.
    It only took me a few trips of never having to replace any webbing or build any anchors to realize that chances are they are not coming out of the dry bag.
    I think I have finally used up all of my old climbing webing anchors (circa 1995 and earlier ). All I have now is webing purchased 2008 or later.

When not in use I hang the webbing in my windows to use as drapes to block out the hot phoenix sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    For REAL?
    YES for REAL. Was best used in "white rock canyon". burned through 100ft of webbing, and over 13 rappels. Having the webbing easy to access at each drop was HUGE

22. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Coiled like a rope.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I bring 50-100ft depending on the area/canyon. If it's a "no bolts canyon/area", I usually bring 100ft as most of those anchors require ~20-30' to avoid grooving/sticking the pull, and I've seen a few that were twice that.

My webbing gets a butterfly coil and sits in the bottom of my pack. I like the idea of throwing it in the bladder sleeve in the pack, I might start doing that.