Thread: Planning a Spring Break Backpacking Trip

Planning a Spring Break Backpacking Trip

One of my friends and I are hoping to go backpacking this spring break (we're college students) somewhere in the SW. I think we're leaning towards Grand Staircase-Escalante (Round Valley Draw-Hackberry Canyon looks interesting but a little short) or perhaps trying the Trans-Zion Hike. We'll have 9 days off right at the end of March-- we don't necessarily want to take the whole break, but definitely looking for more than an overnight. Any advice for backpacking that time of year? Would those hikes be doable? Is there a longer one in Escalante?

And-- in one report, it sounded like Round Valley Draw-Hackberry Canyon can be hiked up to a base camp and you can explore from there-- but I'm having trouble finding anything to support that. Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Round Valley Draw-Hackberry Canyon looks interesting but a little short
    It's short, but there are lots of side canyons and exploring to do. Some of the best are Booker Canyon, climbing the Cottonwood BM, Stone Donkey Canyon and Sams Mesa Box Canyon. You can easily spend a week in there if you explore around.

A trans-Zion hike will cross lots of roads. Good scerery, but in my opinion, the best of Zion in hidden deep in the narrow canyons and you will miss all that. Spring Break is probably too early for most of that anyway. A trans Zion hike is still scenic though.

Robbers Roost and Escalante both have some great long distance hikes.

For Escalante, see Canyoneering 3 by Steve Allen. It has some good long distance ones.

In the Roost, some of the best long distance hikes are Robbers Roost Canyon (with many side forks to explore) and a Sams Mesa Box/Twin Corral Box loop. Hatch/Fiddler Cove from the Red Benches is another good one with lots to explore.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

wow, lots of info. Thanks!