Thread: Not Mindbender mini mud epic

Not Mindbender mini mud epic

Went to the Roost for the 1st time 9/23-27. Did Larry, Not M, Alcatraz, No Mans and White.
    A and Not were excellent, Larry and NoMans very good, White aver. But we had an experience in Not Mind I have never had b4. There was deep deep mud all the way thru it. Even b4 we got into the tight slot we were in mud up to calf. Then as we started going thru the tight sections at the bottom of every downclimb it came up to calf or knee. Water was sitting on top of the mud up to waist deep. It was a big struggle to get thru those tight sections and really hard to pull yourself out of any hole. On our 1st rap into an open alcove (you kinds stand in a birds nest looking down), it was difficult just getting harnesses and gear right because our hands were so slick from mud. Right after that rap there is a hallway/slot shoulder wide about 75-100' long. I was 1st and 1/2 way over was into mud waist deep and water up to armpits. A debris chockstone at the 1/2 mark rested 12" above water line. I thought way too dangerous to go under ( no way to pull up over with legs stuck in deep mud, walls slick with wet mud, and hands slick) as I was still getting into deeper stuff, so retreated. I was exhausted just getting back to the start. Almost like quicksand. We were able to stem over to the debris, but the walls were so vertical and slick at that point we could no longer hold stem and 1 by 1 all 4 of us dropped into mud. It was waist deep easily and water up above chest but we were past the low point and able very very slowly to finally escape. Short people or newbies would be extremely challenged in that section, really no way to assist or belay thru the slot. Finally at the Great Falls we found about 3-4 foot of mud/debris covering the anchor and webbing. Obviously a huge flash had gone thru in recent past. Later confirmed as we hiked past Great Falls and saw all the damage. Rapping the falls was pretty challenging with all of our clothes and gear completely mudded up. Just amazing!! Did not have this problem in other canyons except White tho not as bad. Had to run into Hanksville just to clean up our gear as it would have been useless once mud dried. Seems like Not cuts thru a mud layer rather than rock. Any geologists out there? Anyway, quite a challenge, and a blast doing it but not running back anytime soon. Anyone else run into this? Below are pics of me getting ready to rap Great Falls, looking down at falls and group pic after we got out.

Name:  P1030027.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  P1030028.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  P1030007.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  84.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, crazy story. I didn't know that canyon ever got that nasty. I'm glad you posted this since we were seriously considering heading out to Not Mindbender in the next two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Finally at the Great Falls we found about 3-4 foot of mud/debris covering the anchor and webbing.
    Isn't there a deadman anchor at the final drop? Since it was buried, how did you know if your anchor was going to be reliable?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Went through Not Mindbender on October 1st. Most of the canyon is dry but the mud is still there below the pothole rappel. Mud also coated the walls for several feet. By the time I got to the aforementioned debris, I was in the thick of it, quickmud and I was not touching the bottom so I had to use my pack for a handhold and swim through the mud. I looked just like flatiron's group or worse. If the mud is still there, it would be much better to stem over it before you get covered with it. The final rappel was clean for me, however, the pothole rappel probably needs new webbing. Also, the slide ended in a nice deep mudhole, splat and mud everywhere. Nonetheless, an excellent canyon.

I'm sure it has dried out some like K says since we did it on Sept 24. The anchor for the Great Falls rap had webbing to a bolt and then another piece of webbing to some kind of natural anchor. Not sure. 2 buddies (1 AMGA certified and very by the book) who are both very anal about anchors and safety, cleaned and checked it out and I completely trusted them. Since I had been in the water and mud over twice as long as the others in that damn slot I was very tired and chilled, so for last part of technical section they lead and I followed. Sounds like not as bad as when we went thru so go out and try it!!!! Enjoy. Wonder when it flashed?

Re: Not Mindbender mini mud epic

Wow. Hard to believe what it was like, but that last pic demonstrates it. Way to persevere. Hard core!

Wow, chocolate syrup anyone!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    The anchor for the Great Falls rap had webbing to a bolt and then another piece of webbing to some kind of natural anchor.
    Uh oh. Guess Tom is going to have to visit an old friend.

T

10. Likes The Good Cop liked this post