Thread: Anchor Ring

Anchor Ring

We recently ran across a heavy duty chain link used as an anchor ring (see the picture). Our impression was that the relatively sharp ends on the link could easily hang up or do damage to a rope, so we removed it and replaced it with a quick link. This chain link would be cheaper and as strong or stronger than rap rings and quick links, but it just doesn't seem safe to me. Are these starting to be used? I would advise against it but would like a second opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Anchor Ring

Not ideal but I'd feel safe using it. The rope doesn't actually run over the sharp edge, that is to say that he rope doesn't bend over it and bear weight. It just runs to the other side of the link and then back down.

I wouldn't risk it, wonder if the webbing could work its way through the opening on the Chain link?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I hope not.

Pretty "old school". These are made for linking chains together. They come open, and you are supposed to pound them flat before using them.

Quick Links work so much better. If you want to go the cheap route, use single links of chain, big chain, from Home Depot.

I think they are dangerous. CAN come off the webbing. CAN cut the webbing across the sharp parts. Can be buried in a nest of webbing and not easily inspectible.

Thank you for removing and replacing with something safer.

Tom

6. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post
    Safe compared to what? Rapping off a bag of water or a stone submerged in water? I give it a 6/10.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

8. Likes summitseeker, Brian in SLC liked this post
    I don't get it. Rapid links are pretty inexpensive. I haven't been doing this very long but when I started canyoneering earlier this year I bought a couple yet now have one or two more than I started with. Seems like most canyons have a couple extra hanging around in them. When I think of equipment to save money on these don't even enter my mind.

10. Likes hank moon, ratagonia, mtn_dude liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    I don't get it. Rapid links are pretty inexpensive. I haven't been doing this very long but when I started canyoneering earlier this year I bought a couple yet now have one or two more than I started with. Seems like most canyons have a couple extra hanging around in them. When I think of equipment to save money on these don't even enter my mind.
    yep, i got so many booty-ized rings I dunno what to do with 'em. Buy a few to get started and clean surplus offa rats nests when doing your civic canyon duty thing.

Re: Anchor Ring

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    yep, i got so many booty-ized rings I dunno what to do with 'em. Buy a few to get started and clean surplus offa rats nests when doing your civic canyon duty thing.
    X2

I haven't bought a rapid in over 10 years.

Sent using Tapatalk

Anchor Ring

I'm not sure how the math works, but last time I went to Zion, I had 5 quick links , put some new ones in the canyon, and came home with 6. They seem to reproduce if left in my pack too long...

I need to do the canyons you guys do! Seems like every time I turn around I'm running out of quick links.
    --Cliff

Multiplying rapid links in your backpack is the canyon gods way of repaying those that clean up poorly rigged rappel anchors.

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    I don't get it. Rapid links are pretty inexpensive
    Especially compared to how much were putting out on gas now to reach a canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    Especially compared to how much were putting out on gas now to reach a canyon.

I've been involved in a lot of different sports in my life.... and without a doubt.... canyoneers are the biggest penny-pinchers I have ever encountered….

Not that there is anything wrong with being frugal…….

But one of these days this thrift is going to get someone hurt or killed….