Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquanchor- it being used, how it works and how it was built.

Aquanchor- it being used, how it works and how it was built.

I hope all on Canyons and the Bog will indulge me posting this on the new canyoneering association board of American Canyoneers and linking all to it. I think it is an interesting post and posting it there this time honors a dozen folks who are working hard toward Access, Conservation, education and safety goals for all.; Please feel free to cross post content from the established boards over on american Canyoneers too. It is not ibn competion with the blogs and belongs to us all

here is a photo collection of the application of the Auganchor

https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14...N_67-GPlraAyAE

Then a demo

https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14...84498946189938

What the spot looked like in lower water 5 months earlier. This picture and the next 7
    https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14...72194377659874

Jenny the inventor of the Auganchor and her visual how to build one, picture book
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/carvera...7628062414488/

2. Likes tanya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Seems more simple to just use a 3/8" diameter by 3" deep solution rather than upset the fragile environment...

Name:  Cedar Mesa 9-1-12_0356.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  74.1 KB

5. Likes Moose Droppings, hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Seems more simple to just use a 3/8" diameter by 3" deep solution rather than upset the fragile environment...

Name:  Cedar Mesa 9-1-12_0356.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  74.1 KB
    our impact could not have been but a very tiny fraction of the flood that passed through less than 24 hours earlier. If the pot is emptier (no recent flood) our impact is also minimal and other anchor options abound. Fill with a few gallons and deposit it one pot lower during the pull. Much less impacts that harvesting rocks for cairns or deadmen or drilling holes...

7. Likes summitseeker liked this post
    Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Ram. I especially like the step by step build instructions.

Rob

I have thought about a water mechanism vs. sand. Having the ability to do both is useful depending on the conditions.

Recently, when we were in Foolin' Around there was a pothole section that looked fun to do, but could be bypassed on the left (down canyon side). We knew there had to be a deadman anchor in the first pothole somewhere, as other's descriptions mentioned going that way, but they were all full of water. Obviously, if the anchor was still in there it would have been impossible to properly inspect. The lip was smooth, and a hook placement was sketchy. The options were limited. We were glad for the bypass, and found the deadman anchor about 200' down canyon...

Very efficient. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Much less impacts that harvesting rocks for cairns or deadmen or drilling holes...
    In case you couldn't read the fine print, from the BLM, in Utah:

A pothole is a unique habitat that is easily destroyed. Please respect the delicate balance in these pools of life and avoid splashing or disturbing them whether wet or dry!
    Think of the children...

In case you couldn't read the fine print, from the BLM, in Utah:

FWIW: Potholes and how to manage them is also currently an issue inside Arches National Park. There is some talk about banning canyoneering on any route that swims through a pothole.... there is some talk of grandfathering in the current established routes that swim potholes and banning any further such routes...

It seems to me as if Dragonfly would be most effected by a ban, and it is also one of the primer routes inside the park. You can do Dragonfly without the pothole section, but then its just a so-so route.

Name:  dragonfly7.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  29.0 KB

Interesting. Also a lot of manual work significantly lowering the water level for it to function. Why not just bring a huge hose to siphon it out? Also wondering if the next group through appreciates having a purposefully created obstacle and slight increase in difficulty as well. When you arrived it was an easy escape and now it's a group effort. This seems to interfere with the "leave no trace" methodology to me. Water in the desert is a precious resource.

Here is some used fire hose. I bet 3 sections 6-7' long would weigh barely anything and allow you to empty the potholes quickly. 50 feet for only $25.
    http://www.firehosesupply.com/collec...-single-jacket
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    This seems to interfere with the "leave no trace" methodology to me. Water in the desert is a precious resource.
    I've thought about this quite a bit today. A valid point, and would like to hear other people chime in. I know many have argued the "no bolt" ethic. Others feel bolts are fine. It was a great discussion point around lunch today!

How much damage to the ecosystem do we do by walking through water contained potholes? How does our shoes/packs emptying some water out in subsequent sections compare to splashing water out as demonstrated here?

We go literally out of our way to avoid the crypto, even if it means another several hundred feet of walking. Maybe we should also take a second to empty our pack behind us before we continue on...

15. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    The impact of fixed anchors is mostly an emotional one...

When you consider that the dirt displaced from the placement of 600 3/8" by 3" bolts fills a mere liter water bottle...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Interesting. Also a lot of manual work significantly lowering the water level for it to function. Why not just bring a huge hose to siphon it out? Also wondering if the next group through appreciates having a purposefully created obstacle and slight increase in difficulty as well. When you arrived it was an easy escape and now it's a group effort. This seems to interfere with the "leave no trace" methodology to me. Water in the desert is a precious resource.
    .....canyons have potholes. Ban passage in Heaps, Imlay, Black hole and a many more? This canyon had flashed less than 24 hours before. A large slickrock basin is right above. It flashes often. The water will sink or evaporate or both almost immediately and continue over a period of time. Water was moved from one pothole to another. The pothole used can be bypassed easily so no one is impacted. There are no established anchors in the canyon. It has seen 4 descents in 2 years so a pissed off group behind you is not a likely problem, nor is there a need for the watertrap in trade routes. It could come in handy where deadman anchors are buried by recent storms. Last time I saw this pothole we used was in April. It was 8 feet deep, dry and barren. Emptying a pothole that size about 8 inches is very easy when its not a swimmer. Takes 10 minutes. Much harder and slower while swimming or twisting on the rim. I captured on video all the boys being silly and having fun. It was not the project it seemed. Below this section was some very vigorous high stemming and the day is long of approach and canyon. Less is more, on gear you have to carry.

Perhaps this part is being missed.....this anchor is one tool of a large kit. It gets used when it is the best option, in the groups opinion, which is maybe daily in the conditions it gets used most often in. It fills a niche. The niche is open pothole areas, right after storms and some other spots devoid of other anchor material. The sandtrap and fiddlestick gets used way more often. Everything in its proper place, at its proper time. Its good to have and know how to use it when its called for....fun too.

18. Likes tanya liked this post
    Perhaps this part is being missed.....this anchor is one tool of a large kit. It gets used when it is the best option, in the groups opinion, which is maybe daily in the conditions it gets used most often in. It fills a niche. The niche is open pothole areas, right after storms and some other spots devoid of other anchor material. The sandtrap and fiddlestick gets used way more often. Everything in its proper place, at its proper time. Its good to have and know how to use it when its called for....fun too.
    Its an interesting thing to ponder, this direction.

Seems more about developing gear and techniques to go with rather than a "less is more" mentality.

As usual, I find a comparison to climbing interesting. Kudos given to physical and mental prowess and toughness, rather than another man made tricky piece of gear to solve a problem.

Sandtraps, water hoses, bags (ya'll are a bunch of hose bags! ha ha), fiddle sticks... Its still rappelling but from more and more uniquely crafted man made devices. Making something usually simple and safe just dangerous. Its murder of the impossible but without the bolts is all. You're still overcoming technical problems with heavy handed man made devices and solutions.

When the young, strong and talented start doing canyons without digging up the sand, draining the pools, building big stacks of UNnatural anchors...then the sport will take an interesting turn. Right now its just a bunch of old has-beens amusing themselves with a silly and dangerous game and trying to impress upon the rest of us poor schmoes that it actually means something.

Silly rabbits, tricks are for kids.

Hee hee hee.

20. Likes Moose Droppings, Iceaxe liked this post
    Ahh I did miss some of those points thank you. I feel a lot better knowing you didn't screw the next group over. Although they really should be prepared for anything. I still would prefer a bolt rather than a bag of water, but to each his own. And you guys did look like you're having fun. That's what it's all about.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

An excellent solution for a specific situation. thanks
    - Gavin

23. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Its an interesting thing to ponder, this direction.

When the young, strong and talented start doing canyons without digging up the sand, draining the pools, building big stacks of UNnatural anchors...then the sport will take an interesting turn. Right now its just a bunch of old has-beens amusing themselves with a silly and dangerous game and trying to impress upon the rest of us poor schmoes that it actually means something.

Silly rabbits, tricks are for kids.

Hee hee hee.
    Actually we eldsters are quite fortunate to have some of the young and strong and at times visionary youth you allude to, at our side. What these kids can do! Glad they still still humor us by coming with some of us. Some of the older folks bring some "game" to the table too. It is true that I am an old "has been," if not a "never was." I feel very fortunate to be watching and sharing the benefits to so much innovation, applied to places unknown. Less and less impacts every few months. Haven't stacked rocks this year.And the webbing? used to go through 600 feet a year.Now? maybe 50 feet. And the water thing? Geez? A few gallons of water going a bit down canyon? Horrible!

Some of the aggressive spotting (just me bragging again) and captures (Yes with fun names;-)) is pretty remarkable. When you get folks like Pascal under some of the kids or a pro like Jenny, going last. Just amazing. Seems rappels start at 18 feet and up these days, when you get that talent together. Add the fancy toys that you dis, the toys invented to solve specific problems encountered in the field...well all the more fun. If I come with the intent to share something really creative and fun (and edgy) and am dismissed as an old ego driven coot trying to....what did you say?... impress the schmoes? Is that all you see? Such a high opinion you have of me! Thanks. Gotta go. I will be much more careful about sharing anything in the future, least I be seen as condescending. My sincere apology to those I may have insulted.
    Logging off
    Ram

25. Likes tanya liked this post
    Maybe the device could also be used for a colonic?

Always get a chuckle out of the definitions on this site:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=douchebag

Lighten up, man, its the interweb.

Unusually vicious stuff in here...even for the bog.

Brian, if your words mean little or nothing ("...it's the interweb") then why write them?

28. Likes Slot Machine, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post

Brian, if your words mean little or nothing ("...it's the interweb") then why write them?
    Thank you, Hank. I usually don't have thick enough skin to post over here. Risking an onslaught of mean-spirited diatribe from a few, I'll toughen up enough to post a link rather than being brave enough to drop this into the bog. My apologies to all of the kind and civil posters/readers on this forum. It is a shame that the squeaky wheels/nuts get so much attention.
    This, the history of the Aguanchor (from my perspective)
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/65997

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Maybe I've been here too long.... but I didn't see anything as being unusually vicious...

The subject of how does the Aquanchor effect the micro environments of potholes was raised and that is a legitimate concern. This subject is something a board member of 'American Canyoneer' should be highly tuned to, because the subject is on the radar of both the BLM and National Park Service and is likely to have an effect on future canyoneering access.

The subject of taking something as simple as rappelling and making it uber dangerous was raised. And that again is a legitimate concern and has been a pet-peeve of Brian in SLC (among others) for a long time.

The subject of packing along yet more gear was raised, which again is a legitimate concern. This packing a special tool for every rare encounter possible goes against the principle of "lighter is righter" that many of us hold dear to our heart. Many of us tackle projects in small two man teams and not the giant siege machine capable of packing so much specialized equipment.

When subjects like the Aquanchor are shown on Bogley they are typically critiqued and constructive critisisum (along with snarky remarks) offered. Criticism can be taken as hurtful and demoralizing, it can also be viewed in a positive way: it is honesty, and it can spur us to do better. It’s an opportunity to improve.