Thread: Arch Canyon in St George

Arch Canyon in St George

I have been looking for some practical info on Arch Canyon (in Snow Canyon) but can't find much. Has anyone done this? Since the season is limited, I was hoping to try it out in November. I've got all the beta- approach, rappel lengths, etc. My main question is about how much water I can expect. Obviously water levels vary a lot, but does this canyon generally have a lot of water/swimming or just a few spots to get your feet wet? Should we bring wetsuits or not? Any info is appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Green View Post
    I have been looking for some practical info on Arch Canyon (in Snow Canyon) but can't find much. Has anyone done this? Since the season is limited, I was hoping to try it out in November. I've got all the beta- approach, rappel lengths, etc. My main question is about how much water I can expect. Obviously water levels vary a lot, but does this canyon generally have a lot of water/swimming or just a few spots to get your feet wet? Should we bring wetsuits or not? Any info is appreciated.
    Here you go! Permit now required. http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/sno...eering-permits

I've been through a couple times. Once from the bottom (5.11 two pitch climb "Highlander") to the top of the last rappel, and once from the top. There is one section that generally holds a smallish lake (can be bypassed by 4th class scramble on right LDC) and another small pond that may be present and wet your feet? Hope this helps?

There is one swim towards the end, used to be waist deep but the sandbar has washed out. Other than that, there can be a few places to get wet but most are avoidable. Depending on how cold it is outside on the particular November day you go, a wetsuit may be a good idea. I have seen ice on the water, but I think that was in January.

Thanks for the info guys. I assume there will be some water, especially with everything being so full right now. I don't mind throwing on the wetsuit for a quick swim but the group I'm going with would rather not if they don't have to. We'll see how warm it is outside. Gracias!

We just did this canyon on Sunday (Oct 28) and it was pretty wet. The 2nd to last rappel had a full swimmer, and most of the other raps had water but you could probably get around most of it if you were really determined. We wore 3mil wetsuits and were quite comfortable Lovely canyon - please tread lightly!

Name:  525732_10151492320634616_1589779432_n.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  89.7 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Nice work there DC going to have to try that next time though now.

LOL Well that's just cheating! I meant you could avoid the water with skillful down-and-around climbing!

Z-crew uses hax.....
    Your safety is not my responsibility.