Thread: Icebox Canyon Sept. 22, 2012

Icebox Canyon Sept. 22, 2012

This was our last canyon on the trip. It was a tossup between Checkerboard or Icebox. Since we had never been to the Kolob side of the park, we decided on Icebox. For those of you who have not been to that part of the park, it is worth the visit. There is a great mixture of red & green plus, we didn
    Attached Images Attached Images                                    

2. Likes ratagonia, Sombeech liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice man, looks like you had a good time. I love those seldom visited canyons.

I did it a while back with Mike Kelsey, when he was researching his slot book. I had done a lot of canyons with him, but it wasn't until the long walk out on this one that I realized why his (much criticized) hiking times are so fast. His legs are like, 8 feet long...I'm a very fast hiker, but I had to double up to keep up with him.

Yeah, that hike out is a big one, no doubt. Beautiful back in there, though.

Blog Entries

Icebox Canyon Sept. 22, 2012

Great canyon! Thanks for sharing.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

I did it a while back with Mike Kelsey, when he was researching his slot book. I had done a lot of canyons with him, but it wasn't until the long walk out on this one that I realized why his (much criticized) hiking times are so fast. His legs are like, 8 feet long...I'm a very fast hiker, but I had to double up to keep up with him.

I know the feeling. My tall friend Jared in the pictures is the same way, quite fast. I wasn't sure if the hike out was really long or if I was just tired from the week of canyons. I remember the trail being sandy at points but in general, being pretty flat. I was definitely wiped by the time we got to the car for sure.

Any idea how old Mike was at the time?

He hasn't slowed down any, he jogged past me on the way up the Y trail the other day. That's after he rode his mountain bike up to the parking lot...

Anyhow, beautiful pictures and excellent TR. Those pools look very fun.

Ran out of water with a FEW miles to go? Wow, that sucks. Especially on that last 1/2 mile back up to the parking lot.

Anyway, great pics and great TR!! Thanks for sharing!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Nice trip report. I have always wanted to do this one. The Kolob Canyons area is beautiful.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Your pictures and descriptions are just enough to experience this with you. Nice job. Thanks for putting this report together.

Nice
    - Gavin

Thanks for the report. This has been on my radar for some time now and need to head up that way. I've been to the arch and camped before but never through icebox. The hike out isn't too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Any idea how old Mike was at the time?

He hasn't slowed down any, he jogged past me on the way up the Y trail the other day. That's after he rode his mountain bike up to the parking lot...
    He's got to be around 74 now...

He's got to be around 74 now...
    No,...he was born in '43, so that would put him at about 69. He is pretty fast. I once hiked up the MIA route with him after doing one the oak creek forks. 37 minutes from Kolob to the road (Ryan Cornia was also on this trip). Not a lot of fun .

Nat

Really? I could have sworn that he told me (back in '03) that he was in his mid sixties...his big goal was to be the oldest man to climb Everest. I remember soon after he told me that some Japanese dude (72?) just did it. I called him and said "Sucks to be you". Yeah, I climbed the MIA with him as well. Maybe he told me the Everest thing was planned for his mid sixties....anyway, sounds like he's still a bad ass dude.

Sweet report. I'm a fan of that anchor on the nail.
    --Cliff