Thread: New anchor for last rap in Pine Creek? Your thoughts?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

New anchor for last rap in Pine Creek? Your thoughts?

There's a different way to do the last rap in Pine Creek, kinda a second Cathedral rappel. Not many bring a long sling for it. Some people tie off a rock or log. I am thinking of putting in a two-bolt anchor for this version of the final drop.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0905pine/index2.htm

Partly because I hear of people waiting hours to get on the final rap... when there could be two independent raps going at the same time.

And Partly because the rock rappel kicks derriere. Yes, the other rap is classic, but this one is too, putting people into a really cool place.

What do y'all think?

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Uh, yes. Something new in a trade route? Sounds good.

I've done both raps and I like the grotto rap. Except for this last Sunday, each time I have done the classic rap, the wind has been blowing and I've gotten sand in my eyes. The grotto rap is just as big and rewarding as the classic rap. A two-bolt anchor would be acceptable in this trade canyon.

I like having a choice.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Re: New anchor for last rap in Pine Creek? Your thoughts?

Go for it!

I've done both rappels and each has its own charm. But what I like most is it eliminates the biggest bottleneck in Zion. In fact the reason we first started using the alternate rappel was we didn't feel like standing in a two hour queue. I also like the fact both rappels are completely independent of each other.

Sent using Tapatalk

Re: New anchor for last rap in Pine Creek? Your thoughts?

FWIW: Up until about 1998 there was a bolt station for the alternative rappel so historical it's nothing new....

Sent using Tapatalk

Last year we used the rap under the big boulder every time went through. It's only a matter of time before the logs wash out that are just before the last little scramble up

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: Up until about 1998 there was a bolt station for the alternative rappel so historical it's nothing new....

Sent using Tapatalk
    The "original" bolt station is to the right of the rock, on a "ledge", but the ledge is a temporary one and may not be there at the moment. This rap required squeezing down between the big rock and the right side canyon wall, and the rope could jam between the logs and get stuck...

Jus' sayin'

Yeah, not there, but there are good features/ledge out on the front of the big rock.

Tom

New anchor for last rap in Pine Creek? Your thoughts?

Be careful building a new anchor, especially one that's been there before. We've recently learned that doing so will result in the death of someone inexperienced within 3 weeks... Do you want that on your conscience? Because it will clearly be your fault.

I beg the pardon of the Pulitzer somebodies cause I like the left lane....

10. Likes DOSS liked this post
    I like the idea Tom. You have my support.

I think its a great idea Tom, go for it. I have never dropped in from there,
    but was tempted to the last time I was there, both because it was new and
    different and looked interesting, and because of the huge group in front of me
    at the final drop. Was with some newbies, who were a little squeemish about the
    drop, looking into it, and I decided against it, since I had never dropped in
    there and wasn't sure about the exit from the pool below, but it is clearly an
    acceptable alternative to the standard drop, as well as a way to ease the
    congestion and waiting time there. Which you can't fully appreciate until you
    get there behind a newbie group of 12 with three harnesses between them.

rick t

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Last year we used the rap under the big boulder every time went through. It's only a matter of time before the logs wash out that are just before the last little scramble up
    X2

I've noticed significant erosion this year and agree it's only a matter of time before even getting to the last rap is very difficult.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Great idear. Big fat bomber glue in bolts with replaceable rings. Can't wait to try it.

That wait can be long. Especially if a rescue is in progress.

My nephew was with a newbie group. He went down first and a very large, less than fit, man followed; flipped upside down and got stuck. By the time SAR had him down, it was 2 hour later. A second bolted anchor would have been helpful.

Thanks, Tom for thinking of us. I am looking forward to trying the new rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    That wait can be long. Especially if a rescue is in progress.

My nephew was with a newbie group. He went down first and a very large, less than fit, man followed; flipped upside down and got stuck. By the time SAR had him down, it was 2 hour later. A second bolted anchor would have been helpful.

Thanks, Tom for thinking of us. I am looking forward to trying the new rap.
    Sounds like someone with rescue skills would have been helpful. Where's Canyonman when you need him???

Jus' sayin'''

T

I would love to try a new rap on Pine Creek.