Thread: Mirror Lake Highway - Scouts vs Wild

Mirror Lake Highway - Scouts vs Wild

Took the Boy Scouts camping along Mirror Lake Highway this last weekend. The weather couldn't have been better. Clear, mild temps with lots of stars!

We used an idea I found from another trip report a couple of years ago. We held our 1st Annual Scouts vs Wild. The boys were given a raw chicken, a knife, a tarp, a sleeping bag, a water bottle and a fire starter and told to survive the night. Some of the chicken was a bit ragged and some was a bit undercooked. Nobody got sick. The boys were all very warm in their shelter.

We picked a spot about 3 miles up from the pay station where there was lots of down timber (cleanup project?) for shelters.

There were coyotes all around. There was one group of 4-5 that came within about 150 yards of our camp.

Everyone had a great time. The boys want to do it again next fall. They have, however, requested some training in firestarting. Only one boy knew how to start a fire. He did it very well... in less than 60 seconds had a raging fire. It would seem that the Scoutmaster's son got some good genes.

Next year we plan to teach the boys how to catch and eat live chickens. We'll probably practice a few at home so we don't risk Salmonella and complaining moms.

Name:  SvW-Sep12-Dinner-1.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  139.2 KBName:  SvW-Sep12-Dinner-2.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  57.3 KBName:  SvW-Sep12-Dinner-3.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  130.8 KBName:  SvW-Sep12-Making The Shelter-1.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  92.2 KBName:  SvW-Sep12-Making The Shelter-2.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  142.8 KBName:  SvW-Sep12-Making The Shelter-3.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  75.9 KBName:  SvW-Sep12-Morning.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  92.7 KBName:  SvW-Sep12-Night.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  90.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome!!!!! Looks like we may give the Scouts vs Wild a go in our troop at some point.

Awesoem Idea! I am going to steal this one!

Kudos on getting your scouts to wear their uniforms to a scout camp! Wish I could get my scouts to do the same!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

So much better than sitting in a classroom talking about survival skills.

I remember as a kid back in the 60's, going on a Klondike camp out in January, We had to dig a snow cave, They gave us a live chicken we had to kill, clean and cook and survive a night on Farmington peak in Jan. All we brought was a sleeping bag and a knife. The chicken was supposed to represent a pine hen we had caight. Pretty much everything else we had to scroung off the mountain for comfort. Kinda of OJT survival training for 14 year old boys.

You scouts will remember it. I do.

You'll notice one boy in the pictures wearing a yellow shirt. This is the "special" uniform that boys have to wear if they forget their real one. I've threatened them with it for a year now and this was the first time it was seen and worn by anyone. I allow them to take off their uniform shirt once we arrive, but they must travel to and from the campout in a scout shirt.

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    What a great trip! Brings back memories. Good job on those shirts! We have a similar rule in our troop - no shirt = no ride!

Thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by treponema View Post
    You'll notice one boy in the pictures wearing a yellow shirt. This is the "special" uniform that boys have to wear if they forget their real one.
    That's pure genius!