Thread: Englestead Hollow - Sept. 18,2012

Englestead Hollow - Sept. 18,2012

This was our first trip down Englestead, through Orderville, and out the Narrows. We started at 7am parked at the East Mesa Trailhead. The plan was to have my buddy Jared jog back to the car from Weeping Rock because we had no shuttle vehicle. It is always nice to have a friend training for an Ironman :o) The trailhead was very easy to find with a short approach well marked with cairns.

We used a brand new 8.3 Canyon Fire Rope for the entrance rappel then dry bagged it for the rest of the canyon. I used a Pirana with the rope in friction setting 2, I think. Behind both lower horns. After about 50
    Attached Images Attached Images                               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a great trip.

Great report, lovely pictures.

I am a big fan of using gear (That doesn't protect my life) until it falls apart. I think I have sewn my quick dry pants about a dozen times now. So when I saw this picture, it made me smile.

Name:  duct tape.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  73.2 KB

5. Likes Slipknot liked this post
    Did the same trip with a group from the ACA Rendevous on Thursday. Really makes for a varied and dramatic day. Starts big with the huge 300 ft drop and several other rappels at the start. Saw a young rattler on the way through the flat section. Some nice downclimbs along the way. Orderville was really sanded in from the last time we went through, maybe 3 years ago now. And then, of course, the soaring walls of the Virgin River Narrows make a tasty dessert to finish the day. Spotted the duct tape shoes as well and had to laugh. Who says canyoneers are cheap?! We're not cheap - just frugal!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Great TR, thanks.

Tom

Gotta do this canyon soon! Thanks for the TR
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Very cool! Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    Great report, lovely pictures.

I am a big fan of using gear (That doesn't protect my life) until it falls apart. I think I have sewn my quick dry pants about a dozen times now. So when I saw this picture, it made me smile.

Name:  duct tape.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  73.2 KB
    I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. My buddy was determined to make his shoes last the entire trip. He used some McNett AquaSeal the night before and just kept the duct tape on the shoes just incase it hadn't dried yet. When he noticed that the tape was coming off, he removed it before it fell off (Leave No Trace). He was able to make it through Imlay and Icebox as well with the shoe still in tact. McNett makes some great products!

Graet Trip Report. Thanks.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow