Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck Rope on Spry

That's alright, Tonk. We've all got to get burned real bad to truly understand how it works around here. Consider it your initiation. It's the Bogley way!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    JUST to avoid the Bogley Super-analysis????

T
    No, not necessarily. I think I overestimated the down climb and most in my group just wanted to use the rope as a hand line to keep from slipping. I ended up climbing back up to the first flute and tried pulling from there but at that point the damage was done.

I really don't mind admitting to canyoneering mistakes on a forum. I don't mind being called a rookie. It's how I learn. I love going down canyons with guys that do things different than I do so I learn new techniques. Some of those techniques might save my life.

On a side note, I train jui-jitsu to stay in shape because I hate running. I have noticed most of those who practice the sport have zero egos about competing and really just roll to learn and stay in shape or have a good time. You can literally get choked out and then thank the guy for teaching you a new move.

I think canyoneering should be the same. It seems like people in the canyoneering community tend to be very Alpha Male about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonkSnatcher View Post
    You can literally get choked out and then thank the guy for teaching you a new move.

I think canyoneering should be the same. It seems like people in the canyoneering community tend to be very Alpha Male about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonkSnatcher View Post
    Stupid stuck rope. I didn't realize what I was starting here. In the future, I will pull the rope and down climb.
    Hahaha! Best post Eva!

We have a fun contest in that canyon section to see how many of us can stem that hallway without getting wet. I have to "plank" it to get across, but I have a buddy who can do the splits. Actually I have a video around here somewhere I'll toss it up......

Your safety is not my responsibility.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Hahaha! Best post Eva!

We have a fun contest in that canyon section to see how many of us can stem that hallway without getting wet. I have to "plank" it to get across, but I have a buddy who can do the splits. Actually I have a video around here somewhere I'll toss it up......
    Cool!

T

Some other things that can make the pull easier:

- pulling sooner - ie, at the base of the second flute.
    - trying different pull positions, to find the easiest place.
    - rappelling single strand, thus keeping the rappel and pull side separate, so they do not get twisted, and so that when there are grooves, both ropes don't end up in the same groove.
    - flipping the ropes out of the groove.
    - setting the rope length. If you set the rope length, then you pull the least rope through the ring, and minimize the difficulty of the pull, and the possibility of it getting stuck.
    - keeping your ropes clean. In a wet sandy canyon like Spry this can be difficult, but dunking the rope in its rope bag after each rappel to keep it as clean as possible helps. Quite a bit, actually.
    Thanks for the tips! Great advice.

Very cool vid. I will try that next time.....guaranteed to get wet!