Thread: At what height do you add a second rappel device?

At what height do you add a second rappel device?

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Should depend on your device, rope diameter, etc. For example, rappelling on a 8mm single strand is going to be completely different than rappelling on a 11mm rop double strand.

I don't think there could be a set height for all situations. Me, unless you count the extra biner on the leg loop, I haven't really used more than one.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I suggest you read this thread:

How to rappel from 300 feet

And then ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I suggest you read this thread:

How to rappel from 300 feet

And then ask questions.

Beat me to it. Seems like it's been covered pretty thoroughly.

Kinda.....I was kind of looking for personal preferences. At what height do YOU personally make the switch from one device to a different system? I know the thread explains the 300' rap well, as well as provides a wealth of knowledge on large raps in general. I read through it and followed it back when it was on the front page. Obviously that is what people do on a 300' rap.....but where do you cross that line, that's my question. Would you do the double system on a 200' rap? what about a 150' free? Again, I was looking for what everybody else does based on their comfort level.....

but i dont want to bother anybody or waste anybody's time, so dont worry about it. if someone would be so kind to delete this thread. sorry and thanks.

I use a rack... or an ATC... have never used more than one rap device, have set up more friction before but that happened at the point that I felt there was not enough friction.. no real distance as it has depended on my weight (including pack), rope diameter etc etc etc.. that is probably why the reference to the other thread that basically says.. when you feel it is needed add more friction, based on your device..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

To answer your question specifically, I have never used two devices. I know how but I just don't do it. I have rapped 300' single strand and have been good with my Pirana and a biner on my leg or a leg wrap once in Heaps. Also, I am not slight of build.
    Life is Good

Use a rack = no need for extra devices or biner tomfoolery.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Somewhere around 200 feet plus, most people will want a plan for adding more friction.

Two devices? I think you misread the 300' thread. Adding a second device is one way some people use to give them a greater friction range... I guess, but I'm not sure how many do that.

For me, it is the leg loop biner then a Z-rig. My impression is quite a few people do something along the same line.

Tom

Re: At what height do you add a second rappel device?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    For me, it is the leg loop biner then a Z-rig. My impression is quite a few people do something along the same line.
    This is my current go to system when I want more friction or the ability to change friction mid rappel.

Sent using Tapatalk

Really depends on the rope diameter, single or double strand, steepness (free air or slab?) and, the length of the drop is near the last thing to be considered.

I climb on mostly skinny single ropes. So, usually double strand everything. Its rare I need to add friction. Set of twins, 60m drop finishing in free air? Yeah, I change up. Not much, but, a bit (add a biner to my ATC).

Most single strand canyon type rappelling I've done lately is on larger diameter, wet ropes. A ATS has friction options, but, I rarely deploy them.

I'll double stack some atc's and see what it's like. I can only imagine that it will be a long hard rap because of the friction the lower one will force onto the upper

Never, although if it's a single strand rap with rope skinnier than 9mm, I will add extra friction on any rap of significant length when using a figure 8 (ATC has more friction). With big raps, the extra height is not really the issue at the top, it's about being tired by the time you get to the bottom. So at the bottom you rap like you would when it's a 50 ft'er, just that you may be a bit more tired by the time you get there. (Tiredness usually comes from adding too much friction @ the top and getting tired from repeatedly pulling up the rope and feeding it through your device, shouldn't be the other way 'round).

Quote Originally Posted by nonot View Post
    With big raps, the extra height is not really the issue at the top, it's about being tired by the time you get to the bottom.
    Well...the weight of the rope is more of an issue, IMHO.

If folks are getting tired in a 100 or 200 foot rappel...to the point they can't hold on effectively...yikes...

Relax! Its just rappelling!