Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Would You Rate MIA Exit (Scale of 1-10)?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Thinking of doing Kolob in a couple of weeks...

If my group has two trucks, would it be possible to set up a shuttle and park one of the trucks on the rim of the MIA exit, saving us from a couple of miles of slog?

You know, a truck containing a cooler full of ice cold beverages?
    A good idea, but...

You would need two things to go down there:

The key; and

Permission.

If the gate is open, it is NOT OK to drive into the MIA area. The gate could be locked behind you, AND you could be cited for trespassing.

Tom

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have been trying to figure out which stake here in las vegas is using the property. I believe that the Stake in Green Valley area uses the property by Oak Creek. I will do some more research and get back to you. I am pretty sure that it is a stake here in las vegas that has acess and use of the MIA area. Would be pretty sweet have a car right there as you hit the road. I have yet to do any canyons up there but plan on it soon.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

It sucks. I've done it twice. First time we ****ed up big time. The second time my buddy knew the exact way out and it still sucked. So, if you don't know the way out, it will suck, if you do know the way out it will still suck.

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    It sucks. I've done it twice. First time we ****ed up big time. The second time my buddy knew the exact way out and it still sucked. So, if you don't know the way out, it will suck, if you do know the way out it will still suck.
    Ha ha...:-)

it's like hiking out of the approach of mystery and stacking the subway exit on top...

I've done the MIA twice, both for Kolob, it sucks BAD. Very steep! And once you get to the main dirt roads, it feels like it will never end.

I think for me, rating the MIA boils down to how physically fit you are and what time of year it is. I’ve done it in April/May and July/August/September and cooler is nice, but being fit enough is key (along with a fit team so gear is evenly distributed). The first time I did it, It was early season and I hadn’t done a lot of hiking, and I thought it sucked, but once into the season I was fitter and I didn’t think it was so physically taxing. I’ve done it in about 2hrs and up to 3hrs.

Better than hiking all the way out and dealing with permits and long shuttles.

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Cooler weather really makes a difference. The first time I did it was in August and it was hot and humid. I'd never sweat so hard in my life and it took us right around 2 hours. But I've also done it at the end of September. Nearly 10 degrees cooler and much drier, I was also in much better shape and we did it in under an hour and 1/2. It didn't really feel quite like the same hike. Conditions and conditioning will be the two biggest factors for your MIA experience.

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Conditions and conditioning will be the two biggest factors for your MIA experience.
    Absolutely! And what you like or dislike. Our group hikes a lot at altitude, we look for new different ways to get up mountains, and the MIA is just another version of that. A hump, but a FUN hump. Considering it has a lot of shade and we did it in Sept I thought it was not bad at all. Thought hiking up that exposed dusty road much worse! I love hiking in Utah and just consider any entry or exit hike, routefinding, part of the adventure. State of mind maybe? Enjoy it, embrace it, lalala. Or not.

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Biggest problem with the MIA is after the steep climb you still have a boring long ass hike to look forward to.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3