Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Rate MIA Exit (Scale of 1-10)?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    I didn't get upset, just a little confused. We just did it yesterday and it was just less 1cfs, a trickle, like what a garden hose puts out with moderate pressure.
    And then also, while they release X up at the dam, at the start of the canyon the flow is Y. There's a couple miles of streambed in between, and the water most likely will increase or decrease depending on water table conditions... X does not equal Y, usually.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How Would You Rate MIA Exit (Scale of 1-10)?

I figured that much,

Just experienced the MIA a few days ago for the first time. Kind of like getting kicked in the nads and while you're bent over in pain it gives you a nice 3 Stooges poke to the eyes. Seriously the worst part is that a lot of the upper section is sand-like so you kind of slip a little with each step while relying on the roots of little sproutlet trees to keep you from rolling back down the mountain. Definitely recommend a fitness level above couch potato for this one.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The fixed rope at the top is a big help.

----

But back to the original question...

We had talked, BITD, about a Zion bushwhacking rating system. When FINDING the MIA, the rating would be a "5", and would set the standard for that. My first two times up the MIA, we did not find it all the way, and both trips did sections of "10".

I've done other bushwhacks in Zion that were pretty gnarly. Guess that one section of Mt of Mystery would be an "11", 'cause I needed a rope for that! Our recent foray to the top of "No Good" I would rate an "8" - very difficult and strenuous, but without the fear of death if one slipped.

These days, the 'trail' is much easier to 'find', and I have it down pretty well. With the fixed rope, if you find the easiest way, it is about an MIA 3, or 4 or the most.

Tom

Re: How Would You Rate MIA Exit (Scale of 1-10)?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The fixed rope at the top is a big help.

----
    Tom,
    Can you elaborate? Do you fix ropes in prep for the final MIA ascent at the head of pipe canyon? Where and how many lengths? Thanks so much.

Bogley BigShot
    That depends. My rating before I was 50 or after.

How Would You Rate MIA Exit (Scale of 1-10)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Tom,
    Can you elaborate? Do you fix ropes in prep for the final MIA ascent at the head of pipe canyon? Where and how many lengths? Thanks so much.
    There are 2 ropes in place. The lower one is kinda sketchy hardware store rope, just use it for balance. The second one is a stout piece of 1/2" static line and is very helpful. The fixed ropes deposit you about 50' from the road.

Re: How Would You Rate MIA Exit (Scale of 1-10)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    There are 2 ropes in place.
    Thank you!

[QUOTE]Coming home from work and finding Sof

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    That depends. My rating before I was 50 or after.

:) I hear you on that one! LOL Me too.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

13. Likes tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    But back to the original question...

We had talked, BITD, about a Zion bushwhacking rating system. When FINDING the MIA, the rating would be a "5", and would set the standard for that. My first two times up the MIA, we did not find it all the way, and both trips did sections of "10".

I've done other bushwhacks in Zion that were pretty gnarly. Guess that one section of Mt of Mystery would be an "11", 'cause I needed a rope for that! Our recent foray to the top of "No Good" I would rate an "8" - very difficult and strenuous, but without the fear of death if one slipped.

These days, the 'trail' is much easier to 'find', and I have it down pretty well. With the fixed rope, if you find the easiest way, it is about an MIA 3, or 4 or the most.
    Thanks Tom. This was very helpful!!

Just did this for the first time yesterday, very fresh on the "bruises and scrapes still", so just adding my opinion.

The fixed ropes on the end are nice (thanks to the person put them there); and while that section is steep, it wasn't the hardest spot. We didn't need the ropes.

The hardest section is about half way, below a rock wall and traverse before you cross over the drainage (referring to the most social and prevalent trail you can see marked with bright ribbon). This section is straight up, with just sand and small twigs to grab. Unfortunately, these twigs are becoming scarce. Furthermore, there were some really good branches to grab a hold of but most are now compromised (broken from previous use). Not reliable. This area is sketchy, and the best place for a fixed rope.

The most mentally challenging piece is when you get to the nice road. You're completely worn out at that point, with ~2 miles to go.

Has anyone got permission from the church to leave an ATV or vehicle?

16. Likes tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post

Has anyone got permission from the church to leave an ATV or vehicle?
    That's what I have been wondering. Maybe in compensation for doing a service project at the camp so something...

Thinking of doing Kolob in a couple of weeks...

If my group has two trucks, would it be possible to set up a shuttle and park one of the trucks on the rim of the MIA exit, saving us from a couple of miles of slog?

You know, a truck containing a cooler full of ice cold beverages?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Unless you have a key to the gate right below the parking area I think you are out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

If my group has two trucks, would it be possible to set up a shuttle and park one of the trucks on the rim of the MIA exit, saving us from a couple of miles of slog?

You know, a truck containing a coller full of ice and cold beverages?

20. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Aww!!

Suspected that a gate was there, didn't know for sure. Thanks!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

You're welcome
    Aww!!

Suspected that a gate was there, didn't know for sure. Thanks!

It's one of the best in Zion. You'll love it.

24. Likes Slot Machine, tanya liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    I love Kolob!