Thread: Pleiades on Friday, Blue Angels on Saturday

Pleiades on Friday, Blue Angels on Saturday

Our group of 4 visited Pleiades Canyon Friday, Sept 21st, at around noon. The "loop" road to the location is underconstruction and closed if coming from the north. The loop road entrance from the Ken's Lake side just barely misses the construction and access to Pleiades is uneffected. Friday, Sept 21st found very warm, clear skies. Entrance hike found us in lots of golden Autumn leaves. Beauuuuuutiful! River bed at entrance was bone dry. We did not carry wetsuits, but had brought along "walmart camping section" quality rain pants and jackets (that we use on mountain backpacking trips). Did not find the need to use those either, however.

For those interested in such things, I the photographer, wore an orange Petzl Elios helmet. My photo subjects (my brother and his two kids) didn't indulge.

Entry to fifth rap a bit awkward, going off of a thin overhanging boulder. Best way was to sit and scoot over. View of this is in pic 7, where my brother stands before deciding to sit. Water started seeping in at the bottom of the first rappel. Only a modest trickle after that until the 6th rap down a fluted wall. Water ruffled, at that rap, enough to get the ankles and calves wet. At top of 7th and final rap, heard voices coming down the canyon, but never saw the group. Did spy their car upon leaving at the trailhead.

Hike back up to the ridge was invigorating; stopped for lunch at a flat rock at top. From that point, we were directly above the first rap. Reached that point only at 1 hr 30 min mark. Thought about redoing the raps, but decided to get to Grand Junction for the airshow. Total hike, including 30 minute lunch break, took 2 1/2 hours.

Next day, watched US Navy Blue Angels perform in Grand Junction, CO. Had always wanted to see them since I was a kid. Got the chance and was not disappointed. Great performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very Nice! Sounds like a AWESOME trip! It is kinda weird to see Pleiades like that (without lots of flowing water). The Blue Angles must have been really fun to watch! Thanks for the TR
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

One of the great things of working next to Mira Mar Air Base is we get to watch the air show every year from the building. Blue Angels rattle the windows nicely!