Thread: Driver doesn't like Cyclists

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Driver doesn't like Cyclists

Scary. I've had idiots throw pennies at me from fast moving cars.
    This guy should have his license revoked.

I agree, lost my chance to do Lotoja do to some idiot hitting me with something from a car and wrecking me out. I get so sick of motorist yelling at me, honking at me, throwing crap at me, and yes on one occassion last year even purposely running me off the road. I ride solo, I ride the white line, I signal turns, etc, etc. Why are some people just total jerks? I'll never stop riding on the roads but I honestly feel it's just a matter of time before something bad happens. Most of the time it seems to be summer or the weekends when problems happen. Winter times up here are real quiet for me. I think it's just the locals and they are really good about giving me space on the snowy wintery roads.

Funniest thing has been the days Ragnar passes through the valley. You'd think that would be a safe day because everyone would be so careful with all the runners on the road, uh no! Two years ago I had a support SUV pull off the shoulder right into me. I had to push off the front fender to keep from being hit. Then this year I had a lady in another SUV swing around me on the left, pull over onto the shoulder, and then open her car door and step out right into me. Banged up my hand on her door and cut up her leg pretty good with the bike. I mean, WTF? You just passed me, did you forget 2 seconds later that I was there. After that I turned around and went the other way looking for clear roads. Got stuck in a line of vehicles waiting at the 4 way and stayed in line instead of passing everyone on the shoulder to go to the front, mistake. After about 4 stop and go's the driver behind me was too busy talking to pay attention and ran into my back wheel. Saw it coming and tried to accellerate out of the way. Needless to say, after that I just went home and gave up for the day. Next year I will make the RAGNAR day my rest day.

I hope this driver gets the full extent of the law thrown at them and then some. May a thousand sand fleas take up residence in there shorts, LOL!!
    Exercise is the elixir of life!

Blog Entries

Driver doesn't like Cyclists

Dude that sucks! Wow!

Is there like a what has happened to you while riding thread?? That'd be interesting to read
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

You all just don't understand how much effort it takes to turn the steering wheel and maybe let your foot off the gas pedal a little bit to go around a cyclist... its like TONS of effort! so much more effort than honking the horn or throwing things at people...

Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I've only had a couple of close calls on the road, one cell phone talking lady in Layton pulled out of Home Depot about 6 feet in front of me and I had to swerve to avoid her back door and 2 weeks ago some minivan driving female in North Ogden waited until I was in the intersection and then stomped on the gas to do a u-turn. I occasionally get the horn honkers and a&*hole drivers that yell or swerve as they pass but it hasn't happened very much to me. I guess I've been, and hopefully will remain, lucky in this aspect.

I would have been tempted to slow back or stop to get a good look (and give them a piece of my mind) had I been the riders in the video. That much honking can't be easy on that car horn.

Wait till Anonymous hears about this one. They will publish his home address and phone number, then some justice will be served.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I guess the dude was a little bit older, got a ticket and a fine for it.

One thing I will say though is whenever road riding, I get a little bit on edge, looking for anybody to cut me off, honk, throw something at me, get a little too close... it's like once I hit that pavement I've got an asphalt chip on my shoulder that doesn't disolve until the next day.

I'm kind of new to road cycling, this being my first year at it, but I've had quite a few run-ins with idiots like this.

Just yesterday I was headed down valley view highway into Logan and some truck driver pulling a tanker buzzed withen inches past me at 60+ mph blaring his horn for 1/2 mile down the road past me. I, was probably 3' to the right of the white line in that case. I think he probably crossed over the white line to get closer to me.

I don't understand why some people have a such a problem with bikers???

I keep a can of pepper spray on my bike for dogs, I think the driver of the SUV would have gotten a dose of it if that were me (and if his window were down).

I once had a guy in a huge, heavily modified pick up literally hang out his window screaming at us for being so dangerous and stupid. We were in a single file line on the outside of the white line. He was swerving all over the road and intentionally came within a couple feet of us while giving it full gas.

Yeah sure...we where the dangerous ones.