Thread: Big Pocket access

Big Pocket access

Many years ago (17 or so) I spent a short time looking for a route off of Cathedral Butte into the Big Pocket of Salt creek in the Needles. I was hoping to day hike into the area and thus avoid dealing w/ permits and reservations for designated campsites
    I came close and probably could have accomplished the goal with some stacked rocks but turned aside for other explorations instead (heading toward the top of Wedding Ring Arch).

Kelsey, in his Exploring CNP book, mentions, but very poorly describes (by his own admission) , 2 possible routes to the rims between Salt & Lavender. He directs one to confer w/ folks at the Needles VC and a under the table hiker map- which has been log removed from use for fear of lawsuit.

I have heard mention of possible routes off the spur at the S end of the entrance to Big Pocket and also off the N end close to where the trail passes. And a possible route off the spur of land that frames the N end of "Cabin Pocket". I also have heard there was route from the S end of Cabin pocket as well and once searched for that from the bottom near Kirk Cabin but failed to reach the rims.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been able to get from Cathedral Butte to Big Pocket either here or via PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been up and down both routes looking for routes to connect loop hikes. I have them marked on my topo map. Unfortunately though, other than marking my route on the topo, I didn't take notes on the routes.

Also found five routes out of Davis (none of which are on Kelsey's map) and have those marked as well.

I can say with competency though, that unless you are familiar with any of the off trail routes into Big Pocket, the fastest way to come in is via the standard trail. Route finding in and out of the canyons trail-less tends to take quite a bit of time to routefind. Last spring, we had several dead ends on a route into Davis, even though I had done the route previously.

The routes in and out of Big Pocket are also much easier to find from the bottom than they are from the top. I'd recommend finding those from the bottom. Same with the routes in and out of Davis.

The following off-trail routes into the canyon system marked on Kelsey's map are fairly easy to find from the top:

Both routes marked into Lavender and Trail Fork in Horse Canyon. The other routes, including the ones at Big Pocket are fairly hard to find from the top.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott,
    thanks for the feedback.
    Looks like not too many have ventured this way.
    I am less interested in a loop per se than a quick entry into Big Pocket from the end of the 4wd route out Cathedral Butte. I am told there are routes to the spur at the S end of the BP entrance and also to near Cabin Pocket. That is the info I was hoping to hear about.

I tried to attach a map with the general directions that I have heard rumored but the system won't allow me to. Frustrating. I could PM you.

I found a GPS track for a route from salt at Big Pocket to Lavender on the
    trimble outdoors web site:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/55510

I agree that finding from the bottom is in general easier.
    I have used the Trail Fork and Lavender routes many years ago. Never looked for Davis routes.

Doesn't sound like you have tried the routes I am most interested in?

Still would love to see your routes : )

Our routes are different since I was looking of ways to loop together different canyons and explore the rim lands rather than looking for a shortcut into Big Pocket from the road.

Anyway, here are the routes into Big Pocket:

Name:  Big Pocket.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  169.3 KB

I also know of several other routes not in any books or marked on the old NPS maps, but I don't know if you are interested in those.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

thanks for the map.
    yes, those 2 would be useful for a loop but not so much for my goals this trip.
    They look like variations of the NPS map routes which I managed to find a source for.

But of course I would absolutely be interested in other routes. That country is all about ingress and egress.
    I especially would like to go to "10 arch draw" above All American some day. Despite making several journeys into the region I feel to have just scraped the surface. So much less time and opportunity that I am not in UT.