Thread: one day mission - where?

one day mission - where?

I had an unexpected weekend come up and I want to do a mad dash to utah and back to do a slot. my only question is which one?

some basics:

i live in gunnison, so...
    + no west of capitol reef or into az. san raf, cap reef, cedar mesa.....trying to stay out of the roost because its so far in there and moab because...well.....moab.
    + would like adventure but not necessarily technical...trying to avoid bringing ropes just for lightweight speed. but we will if need be
    + full day adventure (no in and out easys)
    + water? would be fun
    + done Lep, Blarn, Lucky Charms, Ding, LWH, Crack, Farnsworth, Reid Nielsen, Moonshine, Forgotten, and sheets, among others in the area. would like a new maybe?
    + free camping (dont have to be glamorous) nearby, cruise out tonight n camp, do the canyon tmrw and back tmrw night

based on all of this I was thinking of a mad dash to the Black Hole and back, what do people think? any other suggestions? thanks so much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

have you done any of the wet stuff in Ouray?

I assume you are going solo.

The Black Hole is very fun to do with other people, we helped each other out quite a bit last weekend, mostly lowering each other into the murky water to check the depth. Jumping off the drops is a really bad idea in there, sometimes it is a swimmer, sometimes it is knee deep with gnarly rocks. Also on the hike out, there were 2-3 spots that were made much easier with an assist.

Middle Blue John and up West Blue John would be fun solo. They are really good and not too difficult.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

No, not solo. With a couple competent friends.

Thanks for all the info, at this point it sounds like we will have some proficient hikers but novice canyoneers with us, so we were talking about Winter Camp and Repeat, but weren't sure if Repeat still has the dead cow? How would these be for a quick mission there, possibly leaving Gunnison at 0600, since we can be there in 4 hours? Anybody have anything good/bad to say about them?

Blog Entries

one day mission - where?

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    No, not solo. With a couple competent friends.

Thanks for all the info, at this point it sounds like we will have some proficient hikers but novice canyoneers with us, so we were talking about Winter Camp and Repeat, but weren't sure if Repeat still has the dead cow? How would these be for a quick mission there, possibly leaving Gunnison at 0600, since we can be there in 4 hours? Anybody have anything good/bad to say about them?
    IMO I don't think they are destination slots. However, they are very quick canyons. The one must do in that area is Undercover AKA lost and found. That's the best one in that area.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    IMO I don't think they are destination slots. However, they are very quick canyons. The one must do in that area is Undercover AKA lost and found. That's the best one in that area.
    yeah, we arent loking for the glam. just some sandstone slots. i think we'd like to go to utah for that reason, and not elsewhere (but thsnks for the pointer hank). is possible to do L & F and WCW in one day? what is the latest on the cow in repeat?

also, do i have o go all the way to the ''Yellowcat'' exit, just east of Thompson? or can i access Yellowcat by taking the west Cisco exit, and driving west on the old Hwy 6 and then turning south after a couple of miles? is this road worse than the main yellowcat road?

thanks everyone for the info thus far and for any to come!